Friday, December 19, 2008

Vindicated

Doctors never believe me when I tell them I'm sick. It's probably one of the reasons I never go to the doctor anymore. It's terribly frustrating to describe my various symptoms in gross detail, not just once when I call and make the appointment, but again upon arrival at the doctor's office, then again when I'm called by the nurse who takes my blood pressure, and AGAIN when the doctor FINALLY comes into the exam room. After all the explanations and repetition and pointing to various afflicted areas, to have the doctor say, "Well, you seem totally fine. It must be a cold virus, there's nothing I can do, go back to work and call me in a week" - well, that freaking pisses me off.

Never mind that I know my own body, doctor, don't listen to me. Please, don't take my medical history into consideration, it's really not necessary. When I tell you that this head cold will, beyond the shadow of a doubt, become walking pneumonia next week? I'm sure that's all in my head, pay no mind. It's not like I've ever been sick before, no, not I.

The lack of willingness to listen to their patients paired with an increase in the number of so-called professional who FUCKING GOOGLE stuff they should know? That doesn't exactly promote my confidence in the medical profession, you know what I mean?

Yesterday, after stumbling around like a drunken fool all day at work, I finally decided that enough was enough. I was going to the Minute Clinic at my local pharmacy. I've never been before, but several co-workers have, so I knew my health insurance would be accepted. Plus, it's right down the road, not even a mile from work, and no appointment was necessary.

I headed over there, physically restraining my urge to point the car towards home and give another, "eh, I'm probably fine" to make myself feel better about it. Instead, I thought of all the people I see at work everyday - people who really want to have a Merry Christmas next week, and don't plan on catching whatever hell bug I've been spreading around the break room. So I went, against my better judgement, to the Minute Clinic.

I walked into the pharmacy, located the sign for the clinic, and headed that way. There was a notice that read, "Minute Clinic Patients: Sign in on the computer". Already, I took that as a good sign. One less instance of human interaction I'd have to endure in my cranky, dizzy state. I entered my name and addresses, verified that I was indeed over 18 or accompanied by an adult, and then I took a seat.

On the wall was a list of services they offer (flu shot, strep test, wellness tests, etc) and their respective prices. I don't think I'd ever seen a list of prices for medical treatments before, and certainly not in ADVANCE of the treatment. The prices listed were for those who do not have insurance, as they don't take co-payments into account. But still, I knew before I even got in there that my consultation was going to cost $59 before insurance. Amazing.

The door in front of me featured a sliding plaque that reminded me of porta-potty "occupied" signs, and it read "With Patient". I waited, and after several minutes, the patient emerged, followed by a smiling nurse who introduced herself as Nancy. Nancy waved me into her office, which was basically a glorified closet, and I took a seat. She asked for a few more medical details, I gave her my list of symptoms, and she did a quick exam.

"Sinus infection, you poor thing," she said. She typed up an Rx for antibiotics and emailed it over to the pharmacy desk next door. I asked if she could also prescribe diflucan (ladies, am I right?) to accompany the antibiotic, and she sent that right over to the pharmacy as well. She recommended cough drops with zinc, saline nasal spray, and Sudafed. Then she reviewed the Rx instructions, asked if I had any questions, and ran my credit card through her computer for my insurance co-pay.

I was ushered out of the closet (that's what she said) and sent on my way with a sympathetic smile and a, "Hope you're feeling much better soon, dear."

Seriously? That's all? I just...walk over to the pharmacy counter and pay for my prescriptions?

Yeah, that was all. I was in and out of there in less than 30 minutes with my Rx's and headed home. Best of all? This lady actually admitted that I was sick! Thank you lady! I know I'm sick, thank you for believing me!

I HIGHLY recommend the Minute Clinics to you people. I don't know if they are all over the country or not, but if you have one in your area, or something like it, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT! I may never go to a doctor's office again for the rest of my life.

20 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing we dont have any of those in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have them... wish we did. I hate docs. Sorry you're still feeling crap... hope the meds work fast! Oh, and remember in my Santa letter, how I mentioned the nice little present I got in place of the ear infection? Yeah, that's 'cause he forgot to bring the Diflucan. Damned Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, I recommend flushing your sinuses. You will feel better so much faster. You can buy the kit at CVS.

    Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you ended up going. I was in a similar boat last week when I finally broke down and went to the walk in clinic. I have a sinus infection too, I'm on week two of the antibiotics and it's still lingering but better. Glad someone believed you, I always have the same problem with doctors acting like I'm nuts for going to them. Glad you got such great service!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I feel your pain! How many effing times to I have to go over my symptoms, the same ones I told the doctor about just a few weeks ago?

    At least my doctor is liberal with the antibiotics...and I totally hear you about the diflucan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I haven't thought to recommend this to you yet but get a netti pot. That thing has saved my life numerous times already this winter. Remember in October when I thought I may die from the head pressure? Netti pot man. It saved me. Go to Target and ask the pharmacist for it. I think it cost me about $20 but it was soooooo worth it. I would have paid hundreds had I known how awesome it was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you don't have a nice doctor, you don't have a good experience. My doctor has the most sympathetic eyes ever. Like a sad little dog. And he listens. I love him and I think he does a good job. My HMO lets you choose your doctor. The first one I had reminded me of the soup nazi. Only he was the sick nazi. No sick for you! Didn't make me feel better with his attitude or his treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard that Neti Pots are the awesomesauce, but I have a hang up about pouring warm water up my nose...call me crazy..ya know whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup... The last time I went to the doctor, (which felt like I had a mild case of Bronchitis, something I've had more times than I can count during my youth,) basically said I was fine too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. congratulations on having someone listen to you. we are lucky to have a laid back family physcian who entertains ideas about anything we can conjure up regarding alternatives to the "accepted" medical treatments.

    i'll throw my lot in with the neti pot folks. i have two. used on a weekly, if not daily basis, really keeps the upstairs plumbing working amazingly well. i had a problem with putting any water, warm or cold, through my nostrils the first time. but when i took my first breathe afterward, i was hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my GOD that's amazing. I must find one myself. I hate, hate, hate doctor's offices. Good move on your part, obviously, and I do hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm on my way there right now.
    They do treat the clap, right?

    But really...stay healthy. I'd hate to miss your blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! You're fixable. Stay away from the Neti Pots though. They are the work of demonic forces.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you had me at the preemptive script for Diflucan. That's service.

    SIs SUCK - I sure hope you feel better soon - I've always found the antibiotics to work pretty quickly for SIs - like you take it and can begin to feel your head drain...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seems like medical care in the US is now comparable to what is available in third world countries. My daughter had a recurring headache. Sometime I'll post about that multi-year madness that eventually led to her hospitalization.

    By the way, always loved the name "Cat." A muse inspired me to use "Kat." But it was seeing your blogname that got me thinking about it again. I think this is the link (hope I didn't screw it up)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What the hell is diflucan??? I never get sick (knock on wood) and am very thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have had the opposite experience here with the Air Force clinic...I went into the ER with what was probably a panic attack sorta fake heart attack thingie, and spent the weekend in the hospital, they wouldn't let me out until I did the stress test and passed.

    Then I mentioned to the GI Doc that I was vomiting blood, which resulted in blood work, an abdominal ultrasound, a head CT, and a gastric emptying scan (the adventure with the radioactive egg sandwich.).

    My regular doctor has sent me to a sleep clinic for a sleep study (I have sleep apnea) and has put me on BP meds, which I am hopefully going to go off of in a month or so...and I just saw the doc again, and he prescribed Flonase and Allegra because it turns out that horrible hacking cough is allergies. Allergies like I have never had before.

    I have had at least a dozen and a half procedures -- pap smear, mammogram, some lung test involving radioactive dust, MRI, EKG's, blood work, endoscopy, x rays, pregnancy tests, and three IV infusions of a drug.

    The doctors are great around here, but I keep getting lectures from the nurses -- apparently they are very concerned that I am going to waste an appointment that a much sicker person could have used.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm very fortunate... my Dr. is wonderful. She comes in 2 seconds after the nurse leaves and she reads her notes and only asks me questions for confirmation. I don't know if we have Minute Clinics, but I will definitely keep them in mind if I need to get in right away!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dudes, someone needs to fill me in on the neti pot. Doesn't that effing hurt?

    Not that sinus congestion is a damn picnic.

    Come on Cat, be the guinea pig!!!

    Then write a funny posting about it...or. VIDEO.

    heh.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah, ending world hunger is nice and all, but for my money, the Nobel Prize belongs to the inventor of Diflucan.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.