Thursday, July 09, 2009

Or MAYBE...She Just Had Shingles

Don't ever accuse me of not learning my lesson. I wasn't going to even risk the possibility of forgetting to share this gem with you freaks. See? I'm GROWING!

So I was waiting in the lobby at the dermatologist yesterday (don't ask, you don't want to know)((ok, fine - I was there so they could violently rip a part of my leg off))(((yes, a wart does TOO count as part of my leg))) for, like, an ETERNITY because they were running almost an hour behind schedule and hadn't bothered to let anyone know. The room was packed with mostly women, each impatiently paging through her tattered copy of Better Homes & Gardens, as if by finishing her magazine first she would somehow speed up the process of sitting with her thumb up her ass waiting her turn to be lanced or squeezed or drained or, in my case, numbed then sliced then soldered then flash-frozen.

A blond woman with the gigantic banana clip who sat in the chair next to me used the one free seat beside her as a personal book and smoothie holder since, rather than hold these items, she preferred to semi-force an old lady to hobble off in search of alternate ass-planting arrangements. But the smoothie? It was comfortable.

Meanwhile, a TV was broadcasting The Price Is Right (When the hell did Drew Carey get so fat!? And, Did they have to reinforce the stage??) until the top of the hour, at which time the local news station began their daily, late-morning broadcast with a 60 second blurb on the Michael Jackson memorial. They flashed images of Paris Jackson's eulogy, a tiny, sobbing white girl surrounded by the black cloud of the Jackson siblings, and then went on to other news.

That's when I noticed the blond beside me rise and go in search of tissues. When she turned to walk back to her seat, I saw that she. was. bawling. Pink-faced, snuffly nosed BAWLING HER EYES OUT AT THE DERMATOLOGIST'S OFFICE. The woman who wouldn't give up the seat she'd saved FOR HER BOOK was all broken up about the little people on the magic screen.

I glanced around and saw other women do double-takes as they took in blondie's uncomfortable reaction to the newscast, and then I saw them all quickly go back to reading about how to firm their bellies in 14 seconds without changing their diets or socks. It was, perhaps, the oddest thing I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of odd things before, things like midget wrestling and the underside of a chip-n-dale dancer's be-thonged package. This woman was publicly grieving for a dead celebrity, and it was a snotty sight to behold.

And now I have become a more compassionate, empathetic person because I realized that is how I must have looked a few years ago when, as I was shopping for bulk chicken breasts at Costco, I got the devastating phone call that my gynecologist could NOT call in a prescription for Ativan, or even Tylenol with codine, and that I would be forced to make the plane ride from Minnesota to California with nothing more than a handful of Benadryl, which everyone knows is like the white trash Valium, so in essence, my gynecologist was killing my pride, which explains why I was compelled to blow my nose into that butcher's apron and sprawl in aisle 12 with a case of Oreos.

Which, now that I think about it, may explain the source of my wart problem.

23 comments:

  1. I teared up for Paris, not for Michael. And I did it in the privacy of my own living room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA white trash Valium! Lots of people lost it when Paris started her little spiel. Sad times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer Robitussin which is White Trash LSD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's interesting woman you got a look at. Tears up for a dead celeb but won't offer a seat to an old woman. She was all kinds of polite. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL @ Michele! I totally agree with that!

    It's funny the things that will "move" a person, and yet, there are some things, which are just as if not more important, and they can't be bothered.

    I have had 2 moles removed. Lovely.
    My favorite part is when they shoot it up to numb it and it pokes out like a water balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are da bomc. Seriously. And Bobbie is planning on hiding me in her bra when she goes to Mall of America.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy SHIT. I would've felt compelled to smack her, honestly.
    This is just getting ridiculous and she is clearly not helping.

    Hope your leg smoldering went well! I had to get one off my foot, once. Actually, I had my cervix frozen too (no, not for warts, but I see how my syntax could confuse.)
    Anyhow, the foot was more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha. yah. totally explains the warts on your leg. And possibly other things. But, only your lame-@ss gyno knows of those ones! ;)

    White trash have their OWN medicines? WOW. You americans have it so figured out. Segregation rocks! :P

    (totally kidding, for anyone reading other than Cat who doesn't know me)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who the fuck wears banana clips anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a client that I felt her sadness, and told her there was trouble with her boyfriend and was also out of a job. She said yes, and the very worst thing was that MJ died. Perspective? I did offer mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. MJ: Dead for 2 weeks and STILL entertaining us! What a showman!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your warty thing is all gone and good. :()

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ew. I'm in the process of having a wart removed from my foot. My doctor and I had a disagreement as to the correct temperature of 1 degree of Kelvin (temp of liquid nitrogen), which I won. He makes me hurt for that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a dermatologist-office kind of day. It's the subject of my post today too.

    You make me laugh out loud.

    Poor Paris and siblings. I'm really, really tired of the Michael adoration, but those poor kids...talk about a dysfunctional childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We watched the news last night- in one hour they showed that little girl 7 times.

    Great help with the grieving process-platering her face all over the news.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahahahaha

    Although I must admit that I shed a teeny weeny little tear when I saw that thing with Michael Jackson's daughter, but not because MJ was dead, but because a crying little girl (esp. crying over her dead father) just gets me. Plus I was hormonal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't watched much of the MJ crap but I saw a clip of Paris on a gossip site and I *may* have gotten a little teary eyed. Plus, my smoothie was gone and I was sad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. when i was a kid i used to have warts on my fingers but i don't remember getting them burned off or whatever as being so traumatic
    haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too bad we live in a polite society, or you could have karate chopped her smoothie and then yelled "Suck on that, banana clip!".

    ReplyDelete
  20. HAHA! I saw that clip, and it WAS pretty emotional... but my emotions were more like, "Dude, Jacksons! The GIRL CAN STAND UPRIGHT ON HER OWN. Stop pawing at her!" Seriously, I've never seen more people simultaneously grabbing at a child in my life. And I watch a lot of YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Its so strange now everyone loves him. Forget the fact that he slept with little boys and was up on several counts of child molestation.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I did get a little misty over the Paris clip, just not in a public setting. And for the record my smoothie never gets its own seat, my venti iced non-fat caramel macchiato is another story.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.