Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Indegestion or The Plague?

Call me kooky - everyone else does - but I am a little concerned about this article I found on Yahoo news yesterday. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081016/ap_on_go_co/deadly_germs Ok, I'm a huge bit concerned. Freaking terrified.

I am not naive. I read The Stand like 4 times. I know our government has laboratories that house germs like Ebola and Marburg and Anthrax. I have made my peace with the knowledge that someday, some science guy (because women are much too selfless to do something like this, right?) is going to prick his finger through the 18 gloves he's wearing while testing some bat guano germ from the Congo, and he's going to panic because he knows he's going to die in a really grotesque manner within like 7 days, so he's going to pretend like he didn't prick his finger and he's going to walk out of the building. He'll be telling himself he's just being paranoid - He's worked with these germs for decades and nothing like this has ever happened, there's no chance he's infected, and if he IS infected...well then he's going to go home and say goodbye to his family and die with dignity instead of in some quarantine cell all alone and in secret.

I know it could happen because Stephen King said so.

So Mr. Scientist is going to casually stroll out of the building and he's going to drive across the country and when he gets to the desert he'll be so sick that he'll crash into some gas pumps at a remote service station, and then everyone there will be infected, and they will all go home and infect everyone they have contact with. It won't be long before we all die and the world is over (except for the people who are immune - for some reason I'm thinking Will Smith will be among them) and then they have to fight against evil for control of the empty globe and Satan will mate with a creepy actress and all hell will break lose. And that Blue Oyster Cult song will be played 24 hours a day on every radio station until there is only one faint signal. That last surviving DJ will be chain smoking and ranting about conspiracy until he's gunned down by the last government agency for inciting riots and panic. Except that there are only a handful of people left on earth and they're a little beyond panic at this point and just trying to wade through all the dead bodies.

Screw nuclear bombs people - we are all going to die of an incurable infection and there's nothing we can do to stop it. Although now that I think about it, the chances are probably 50/50 germs or Republicans. (Just kidding! It's more like 40/60!)

But reading this particular article made my skin crawl. I'm no expert on bio-hazardous materials, but I'm guessing that we maybe should have a guard or two on duty at these laboratories. Or perhaps, you know, a whole fucking battalion of robot guards who are all programmed to shoot anyone who looks suspicious and cannot be bent by the weaknesses of the human conscience. Because if those incurable germs get out, it's all over my friends. If you don't believe me, read The Hot Zone and be prepared for extreme paranoia every time you have a headache or a stomachache, because you know those are the first signs that you're infected. And you know you've only got maybe a week after that. And OMG we're all going to die. And then you'll go right ahead and waste all your good pot.

I IMPLORE our military or government or whoever runs the labs to seal those fucking places up immediately. I do not want to die by hemorrhaging internally thank you very very much. I would really much rather drink myself into the grave at a leisurely pace.

7 comments:

  1. My real fear in this realm has always been Nematodes. I have this horrible vision of being devoured alive by those little bastards and ending up lying there, drowning in a pool of my own liquefied internal organs while a team of highly-trained medical professionals all stand around my bed and shake their heads over the worst case of verminosis that any of them can recall in the entire history of modern medicine.
    And…you probably shouldn’t read “World War Z” if you’re that paranoid. I know that, at my house, we have to talk at least once a week about what to do when the “Zombie Outbreak” actually occurs.
    After all: “We don’t plan to fail…we fail to plan.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Please take a deep breath. Its all gonna be ok. Really bat poop is not going to get you. Relax and keep repeating it'll all be ok it'll all be ok

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, sure. But none of us are getting out of this alive anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, stay away from memes. Also? I met Stephen King once. For reals. I just stood there all befuttled. He saw me and said, "Here, I'll make the first move," and shook my hand. He was very nice. Slightly creepy, but very nice.

    Funny, that's what people say about me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me thinks you need to go read Little House on the Prairie and take a deep cleansing breath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am scared just reading your post, so I'm gonna skip the book :) I agree with you - hemorrhaging would SUCK hugely. Breakout was a very frightening movie for me, especially when the mom gets taken away from her family because they had to put up the flag because she got sick. Horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, that last comment was from me but I was signed into the wrong account!

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.