Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wednesday, Plus Frog Popping

Happy Wednesday, everybody. Or Hump Day, if you prefer (I prefer). Right about now we should be rolling into my mother's driveway, half dead with exhaustion and painfully sick of every CD in the car. I'm not entirely sure what we'll be walking into upon our arrival in the Mother Land, (feverish, early-morning prayer or everybody sound asleep, it could go either way), but one thing is for sure: We will be in Arkansas.

Ahhh, good 'old Arkansas, home of the fleas, the ticks and the chiggers. Fortunately, this time of year we shouldn't encounter many of those pests. Smack dab in the middle of the bible belt, or what I like to call Hypocrisity City. The state itself is rather beautiful, at least the portions in the Ozarks where I grew up. Lots of rivers for drunken canoeing, tree-covered bluffs for drunken lake jumping, and scenic vistas galore (mostly used for drunken golfing). Truly, it's beautiful. If you can overlook the dude living in the converted chicken shack over yonder. Seriously, I've seen it.

Located in the northwest corner of the state, and (in)famous for the Wal-Mart home office and the first Super Center in the country, this area boasts a much higher dollar to person ratio than much of the rest of the state. Dude in the chicken shack? He sends his kid to the same high school that the Wal-Mart executives' kids attend. Only difference between those kids? One walks ten miles uphill in each direction, shoeless of course, and the other drives a brand new Hummer and stops at Starbucks with daddy's credit card. It's a strange juxtaposition, the meeting of the very poor and the very wealthy. Of course, there are plenty of people in the middle of those two extremes, in the gap between $100 and $100,000,000. I fell somewhere in that gap.

I have photos of us as kids at the Sugar Creek Days parade on the Bentonville Square, playing with two of Sam Walton's grand kids (I want to say the boy was Tom and the girl was Sam, but who the hell knows if I'm remembering that right). I have no idea how my mother knew that family, or WHY IN GOD'S NAME she didn't sleep with one of Sam's sons, for christ sake. Seriously? How awesome would it be if I was writing this from space? Because with that kind of money, I'd totally buy myself a space ship. I'd be an astronaut right this minute, except not the kind that has to do math and science and stuff. I'd be more like the astronaut monkey that goes for the ride and looks cute and all, but doesn't have to contribute to the mission. That's what money will buy you! Guaranteed laziness at zero gravity baby!

I remember one of those Sugar Creek Day parades ending in tragedy at the frog races. Yes, they had big fat frogs and you could lay some money down on them. Mostly they just hopped around aimlessly, but the length of their legs kind of guaranteed a forward propulsion, and they were separated by lanes to keep them going in the right direction. It was like the most bass-ackwards version of horse racing I've ever seen. These frogs were huge, but that didn't stop people from accidentally stepping on them every so often. The guy running the frog races didn't seem to care if one of the frogs was injured. So long as the dollars were coming in, those frogs would keep on racing.

I confronted the frog racing man when I saw that one of the frogs was trailing some kind of innards along as he hopped. Yeah, he was pretty much split open right down the side and all his guts were starting to leak out. After a few moments of haggling, I don't remember exactly how it went ("Excuse me mister, but your frogs are leaking." "No, no...that's just their shoelaces, little lady. Wanna race one?"), I was able to take the big, leaky frog along with me. Now my mom and I had to figure out what to do with it. There was no rushing this frog to the vet for an emergency frog-ectomy, that much we knew. It was going to die. The only question was, how long would it have to suffer? We decided to put it out of it's misery. That's right, I committed frog-ocide at the tender age of 8 or so.

How would we kill it? Well, that got us thinking about how frogs normally die. Any guesses? Anyone? Bueller? Yeah, that's exactly right: we decided to run it over with the car. Fast, painless (??), natural as this racing frog was going to get at this point. Except he kept hopping away before my mom had time to run him over.

SO.SHE.HAD.ME.HOLD.HIM.BY.THE.FROG.LEG.WHILE.SHE.DROVE.OVER.HIM.

And then I think we went to Dairy Queen, so you know, it was a pretty standard day in Arkansas.

Cheers!

14 comments:

  1. I hope you have a safe trip and a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. There's so much content there, I'm not even sure where to go. First, you'd definitely be picking me up in that spaceship. Second, we had the shack people but notsomuch the really rich folk. Third, I'm so sorry about the trauma of frog-icide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

    omg.

    I can't breathe.

    I was going to say something about how I don't like frogs anymore than big motherfucking fish...I am such a girl...then I have the image of a kid holding a frog by the leg while someone drives over it!

    OMG.....WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first super-center? It's sort of a mecca then? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness that is some story. Im gonna have frog nightmares tonight I just know it

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEST POST EVER.
    It's going to take me a while to get over this one. I can't get enough laziness at zero-gravity.
    Right on!

    P.S. The naked pictures you sent have the genitals all blurred out. What's up with that baby?

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW. The frog story--
    yah that's good ol' Arkansas-type stereotypes that us Canadians like to hear about.

    Now, off to my dogsled and Bannock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huh.

    Around my neighborhood it would have been a firecracker in the frog's mouth. Not that my Mom would have done that, I think she would send me off to the Dairy Queen and then find a rock or hammer.

    Me, I would hand the whole mess over to my husband, except, wait, he is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS TDY or deployed when shit goes down. My concussion? Mark in Egypt. Roy the guinea pig dying? Mark in Alaska. Zeke knocking out his front baby teeth? Okay, Mark was in town, but in the middle of some change of command ceremony, so I had to take Zeke to the dentist by myself.

    I am never ever taking my kids to a celebration where there is frog racing.

    I bet you didn't know there was a moral to that story...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Happy Thanksgiving, all is well, sitting next to the trouble maker D.R.. Love the blog! Not looking forward for the fateful 60 day warn notice should be coming today or Friday. Starting to job search yuck yuck yuck! I am getting tired of layoffs! Talk to you later!


    Lisa M
    GG -e-Commerce

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just cannot keep this hilarity to myself, you frog-murdering accomplice, you. FiveStarFriday is gonna hear about this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, the frog story just made me forget about the rest of the blog. You have the strangest animal stories that I've ever heard.
    LOL!
    Have a great turkey day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm baaackkkkk.

    I forgot to answer your question from before:

    No, I did not get sand in my hoohaw.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn. That's how you take out a frog. I'm betting it wasn't a kodak moment though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw this animated video a few months back that showed how WalMart spread across the US. I was like watching a plague spread.

    I don't know where to go with the frog thing. Congrats for... not being institutionalized.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.