Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Now It's To The Point Where I Have To Comment On The Weather

So it's December 10th, and we've already got a respectable amount of snow on the ground. Not a LOT of snow, maybe 6 or 7 inches in places, 3 or 4 in others, but still - there's snow covering the dead, brown landscape. I've only been up here since July of 2001, which makes this my 8th Minnesota winter, and this is one of only and handful of years where we're all certain it will be a "white Christmas". Everybody loves a "white Christmas", at least in theory, and many years we're in a dead heat with the calendar and mother nature, holding our collective, holiday breath as we wait to see, "Will it be white?".

Last year, if I remember correctly, we had almost no snow whatsoever until Christmas Day, when we got pummeled. Driving up to St.Micheal and back was quite the adventure, but it was beautiful!

This morning is the first true freezing fucking Minnesota day. My thermometer in the car said it was 2 degrees. TWO DEGREES. That's sinus-freezing cold. You know those little Easter egg sleeves that you boil onto the eggs? You know how they kind of shrink wrap around them? Imagine that feeling in your sinus cavity, and that's what today is like. All my nose hairs kind of "schwooped" this morning. Cold. The good news is, at least to me, that once the temps hit about 5 degrees and below, it doesn't really feel any colder. Ten below feels about the same to me as ten above. I certainly don't hang around outside, waiting to see if I feel more frozen than the day before.

I hear we may be getting a big snowstorm on Sunday night, and I'm really kind of excited about it. I'm still in the winter honeymoon phase right now, when the cold isn't so intolerable, and the snow is all pretty and there isn't much ice on the roads. It helps that we live about two miles from work, can park underground in the heated garage, and don't have to shovel any of the snow ourselves. It's easier to be down with the winter weather when you don't have to dig your car out of a snow bank when you're already late for work and didn't have time to blow dry your hair.

I tried to take some photos of the pretty snow for you all, but by the time I leave work at 3:30, it's already well on the way to full-on darkness, and my shibby camera appreciates a little natural light. Maybe on Monday after the big storm!

Anyhow, I know this is a little dull (to say the least), that I'm commenting on the weather and don't have anything more...uh...less fucking boring to tell you, but the cold is about the extent of the excitement in my world at this point in time. That and salt & vinegar chips, but most people don't like them, and I'm pretty certain no one wants to read about their tangy delight.

Gray is going to see Suicidal Tendencies tomorrow night with his buddy Big Mike. I declined to accompany them, as I don't know the band much and it's a work night for me. I'm kind of old that way, I like to be in bed by 9 whenever possible. It makes me more...uh...less hateful the next day.

So, now that I've successfully put you all to sleep...WAKE UP!

(I'm so totally embarrassed by this post. Please forgive me. I promise to do something stupid soon, so I have something funny to post about, and you can all laugh and point your cyber fingers at me, and go back to being entertained.)

14 comments:

  1. I like to be in bed by 9 pm also - but I AM old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its 34 degrees in Houston right now and this is cold for us. There is a chance for snow today and I am not OK with this at all. Oh and I am in bed by 9 too, and I am only 28. Sad, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not in bed till 11, because I'm stupid. It's cold and rainy here today, and all snow has melted away. But it's supposed to get colder, so the rain will freeze and my commute home will suck. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 degrees? That's like nipple cutting class kind of cold. MI gets that way too. I'm thinking of investing in some thermal bras.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow sucks. But then, I live in the South where even the first flicker of flurries sends us into paraoxysms of panic and we storm into the markets to load up on bread, milk and toilet paper. All traffic stops and we stay home from work when even 1 inch hits the ground.
    Our Weather? Currently we're in the mid-sixties (unseasonably warm) and we're under a tornado watch unitl 3 PM today. Very exciting.
    Nothing says Christmas like a tornado ripping through town.

    P.S. Suicidal Tendencies is still around? Man...Well, "All I wanted was a Pepsi...Just one Pepsi and she wouldn't give it to me!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. 9 PM? Damn.

    It is an ealy night for me if I am in bed by 2 am. Gotta watch the Late Late Show. (I heart Craig Ferguson.)

    It is rainy here today, and I was outside in just a suit jacket. (Well, and the rest of the suit, no one needs to see my naughty bits.) It was 55 degrees yesterday, but I grew up in the frozen Adirondacks where 20 below is common, so I am loving this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So weird. It's been like 25 or 30 in NYC recently... until today! It is 60 degrees today! No joke. It's crazy. By tomorrow, it'll be back to 30. This is why everyone is sick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to be in bed by 8:30 and couldn't bring myself to go to an Ingrid Michaelson concert during the week. How's THAT for old. I'm in southern California. It was 40 degrees when I left for work this morning and I thought I would die from the cold. I'll be 70 later and I *might* take my sweater off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE salt & vinagar chips!!! Arkansas saw a lovely dusting of snow....and strangly the schools did NOT close. Weird I know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "i'm not crazy. institution! you're the one who's crazy. institution!" i never get tired of that song.
    great, snow there, rain here. i foresee lots of angry phone calls tonight. i don't want to go to work.
    you see, i'm in the airline industry and most people are under the strange assumption that we control the weather and unfairly delay flights.
    c.s. is right about the snow: even before it begins to snow here in south, right after the first rumor of possible snow goes out across the airwaves, people make a run on the stores, because if you do not have bread, milk and eggs before the first snowflake touches the ground...you will die. keel right over, you will. well known fact.
    btw, i'm working on the "i want to hold your hand" hypothesis...have it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brrrr, two degrees is FUCKING COLD! I don't think my nose hairs could take it for more than a couple of minutes. I'm jealous of snow on Xmas day though, that sounds incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOooo, I always kind of liked that "nose hairs freezing together" feeling, but I really despise the cold. In SoCal, I'm cold when it hits 65. I LOVE salt and vinegar chips, partly because their consumption-limiting, I can only eat so many before the skin on the inside of my mouth peels off. Same thing with Sweetarts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Salt and Vinegar chips rock, I like the way they numb the inside of my mouth... kind of like the cold numbs the exposed bits.

    I'm sorry this was a boring comment, I'll try and say something clever next time.

    *wink*

    This was the highlight of my day except for the fact that my husky/shepherd finally pooed outside for the first time since we've moved into this house a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Salt & Vinegar chips too. I also love to put them on my sandwiches so they are crunchy. No need to add vinegar to a hoagie that way! LOL

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.