Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Trouble With "Creamy White" Lung Excretions...

So I'll be posting about our (fucking freezing cold)((did I mention BRRR?)) Rock the Dock IV excursion at some point this week, but at the moment I'm busy trying to make my coughing productive, which according to About.com means that I should be "producing excretions" and that I should also be noting the color of said secretions, which will range from "dark red" to "creamy white", and REALLY? Is "white" not a good enough description of the color? Because I didn't realize Behr was consulted in the naming of the various colors of productive cough excretions, and while they're at it, they might as well go all O.P.I. on our asses and name phlegm colors like "Funny Bunny" or "Just Tea-sing". Or "Mucus Plug".

If you haven't guessed, I'm sick again. Gray got sick on Friday and then I got sick on Sunday, and together we are one gigantic ball of pathetic sick pussies, and now I'm picturing mangy cats fighting over a scrap of cantaloupe rind in a dumpster. We're even more pathetic than that, I assure you.

I've been trying to figure out why the hell we've both had upper respiratory infections several times this year because normally I get sick once a year, in the fall, and it's always brought on by allergies to some kind of devil pollen spore in the air in Minnesota, perhaps due all the gays, because isn't everything their fault? I normally don't deal with the allergy attack, so it turns turn into a sinus infection and then into walking pneumonia and then I lay on the couch in a feverish haze of Oprah and Saltines until my coughing becomes productive and I stop seeing Richard Simmons doing the tango on the ceiling.

This time, I have no allergies. I have no fucking reason to be a walking, whining, phlegmy excuse of a human being.

I mentioned this to a co-worker who said nonchalantly, "Oh, didn't you know? Everyone around here gets sick. It's because there's no fresh air."

And I was like, "EUREKA! That's probably exactly what the hell is going on!" because we work in a really big building full of people - public people, germy people - a building through which stale air is circulated through the germy, public people and then recirculated down to my office all.day.long. My office is underground. No windows. No fresh air. PUBLIC GERMS EVERYWHERE.

Not only does Gray breathe the germy air, but he deals directly with the germy public all day long, touching them and touching things they've touched and then touching things like his STEERING WHEEL and his LUNCH BOX. And now I realized it sounds like he works in a brothel.

We're both OCD hand-washers. In fact, I am perpetually skinless on my hands from washing them all the time (a habit I picked up when I was a waitress), and Gray washes his hands every 45 minutes to an hour, but there's nothing we can do about washing the AIR, and ohthankgod now it's finally all making sense, because I was starting to google "lung cancer" and "cystic fibrosis", and if you think search results for "productive cough" are gross, don't even get me started on "lung mites", people.

So now I can feel free to keep smoking, right?

14 comments:

  1. Have you bought side by side burial plots yet?

    Can I have Gray's lunchbox when he dies?


    *sorry you're sick! ;( *

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always say tis better to spit than to swallow. Seriously, you need to get and use a neti pot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. um, yuck?

    I was getting sick all the time until we stopped making out with all those other people at parties. You might think about that.

    Oh, and the other thing that stopped it was taking a shitload of Vitamin D every day. Like 3,000 IU. I haven't had a cold in about 6 months since I've been taking that much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, everything is "our" fault :o)
    I, as a gay person, cast a curse on you for
    enjoying Rock the Dock while I'm so tired I struggle to get up and go to work each day.

    I see my curse took. LOL!

    I hate lung problems. I have them too.
    And usually 2-3 times a year.
    I also work in a building with few windows and a bazillion people. So, whoever told you that is probably right.

    However, I work with people who NEVER get sick.. so whoever told you that could also be wrong.

    Are you a smoker?
    I do know as smokers age, breathing problems can begin and become more frequent.

    I used to smoke. Had to give up breathing or quit smoking so I quit smoking.

    I never heard of lung mites. Now you have me curious.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    Whatever the reason for being sick, it just plain bites ass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. The netti pot idea, above, is a good one!
    It has helped me lots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stop smoking and start chewing [tobacco] then you can spit out some real nice stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you'll be fine. Keep smoking and have a couple cocktails while you're at it. I've tried healthy: don't believe the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's like working in an airplane, all day, every day

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet a brothel is cleaner than the door handle to the bathroom at my office. You wouldn't believe how many women don't wash their hands. Gross.

    Good luck with producing all the creamy white excretions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you need a Michael Jackson mask. Oh wait, that didn't quite work for him.

    Mucinex always breaks up my phlegm but makes me jittery. My two cents, feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you wash your hands all the time, your body won't be able to build up a natural tolerance to germs, and you'll get sick more often. Therefore, the key is to never bathe, smoke as often as you can, and sleep with as many random strangers as is possible. Duh...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Must be why I get sick too. It's usually not to bad as long as I wash my hands. I haven't been sick this summer, so that's good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know this if off toρic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I'm aѕsuming having a blog like yοurѕ would cost
    a pгetty ρеnny? I'm not very web savvy so I'm not 100% positive. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

    Also visit my homepage :: tens machine
    my web page :: tens units

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.