Saturday, November 08, 2008

Food

I like onions. A lot. There was a time when I'd eat them raw with breakfast, although now that I make out with someone daily, I try not to do that anymore. Red ones, yellow ones, white ones, green ones, chives, shallots...raw ones, fried ones, carmelized ones, diced, sliced, grated, rings, blossoms...you name it. If it's an onion, I like it. If you are serving hot dogs or brats, please dear god have onions set out. Chili? Better have onions set out. Burgers? Yes, I want them on there too. I know you don't like onions, but people do. Other people do. Please have mercy on us and serve onions. Pretty please? (Also, I LOVE The Onion. Those people there, gosh if they aren't funny. That? Would be my dream job. I mean, check this out. And this. OMFG ROFL LMAO and all that.)

I like garlic. An awful lot. I don't eat it raw, except in stuff like homemade guacamole and salsa, but I do put it in almost everything. You eat my food? Hope you like garlic. I like to roast it in the oven, squeeze it out of the skins, mush it with salt, and add it to butter for spreading. I love to rub cloves of it on hot bread. I love to smash the cloves and peel them. I love the smell of my hands when I've been cooking with it. I put it in sauces, soups, stews, pastas. If they made garlic ice cream? I'd eat it. Vampires fear me. Itialian mothers adore me. The rest of you just avoid me.

I like hot peppers. O so very much. I like to grow them, I like to pick them, I like to save them in the freezer for chili. I like them raw, cooked, pickled, dried. I like to eat a seranno with my meal, bite it like a carrot. I like them on tacos, on spaghetti sauce, on sandwiches, on hot dogs, with meat and potatoes, cracker with cream cheese. I do not like that I handle them and then I go ahead an touch my eyes. Almost every time. (ps, eyes are not the only sensitive tissue that does not appreciate being rubbed with capsaicin.)

I don't like fish. Any kind of fish. Shell fish, ocean fish, tuna fish, fish sticks. If it EVER lived in the water, I don't like it. I don't like crab, lobster, shrimp, cat fish, halibut, eel, squid, snails (I know they aren't fish, but they're slimy, so it amounts to the same), salmon, clams, trout. Nothing. If you invite me into your home and you make me fish, I will eat it and smile and tell you it's wonderful, I will help you with the dishes and ask for the recipe, and then I will try never to get invited again. (Also, if you invite me to stay at your house, I will strip the sheets from the bed when I leave. I'm awesome.) Now pearls....I like pearls. But they're too precious to eat.

These are the four foods I feel most strongly about. Oh, and beets. Why the fuck do people eat beets? They either taste like A) dirt or B) pickled, squishy dirt. They stain everything they touch. I do not like them roasted, I do not like them steamed. I do not like the red ones or the gold ones. They are disgusting and they are THE ONLY vegetable I do not like. The ONLY one. But that's ok, because beets don't like me either. Sometimes, I'll be walking to my car late and night and I'll hear a thunk, and I'll turn around and there will be this beet laying there, looking all harmless. But then it rolls after me and I race to my car and slam the door just before it smashes itself upon my windshield, and the juice runs all over the place, and I swear the drips spell EAT ME! It's creepy.

To recap: Onions, garlic and peppers - GOOD. Fish and beets - STANKY. Glad we cleared that up.

4 comments:

  1. This is exactly why we are Jill's. Our love of the same foods, the same wines and the same hot, hot men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam I Am.

    I'm an onion girl, too, but the older I get? The less they like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pasta is not worth eating if it does not have sauted onions, peppers and fresh garlic. I have weaned my kids from your basic spaghetti with tomato based sauce to pasta with onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes (which they always pick out. I do not get this. They eat tomato-based stuff all the time, but they don't like tomatoes. My kids are weird.) olives, broccoli, fresh mushrooms all tossed with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Oh, yeah, and some chopped fresh basil if I happen to have any laying around.

    Mostly I just open the veggie drawer and through whatever in the pasta. Mostly it works. Once in a while they let me know I maybe screwed supper up a little (they never get too uncomplimentary, because they know the next step is I hand the oven mitt and wooden spoon to them.).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love onions and garlic too. I used to hate onions. Now I love sweet onions, I'm not a big fan of raw onions though and I HATE red onions.

    I actually LOVE red beets, but only if they are NOT pickled - those are gross.

    I like fish too. I'll eat just about anything that comes out of the ocean or a freshwater body of water. I've never had snails, but I've eaten everything else you mentioned! Yum! I especially like sushi.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.