Monday, January 05, 2009

How Not to Take Control of Your Life

Ever have one of those days that starts out GREAT and then kind of declines into a downward spiral of pain, suffering and ooginess? That's what I'm having today. Some kind of Monday meltdown.

Gray is on day 5 of not smoking, and his not smoking is making ME want to smoke. Oh my hell, if he isn't a roller coaster of moods at the moment. One minute he's laughing, the next minute there's literally steam coming from his nostrils and he's visibly restraining himself from putting his fist through the wall. It's really unsettling to me, which is completely unacceptable. He's normally the calmest most go-with-the-flow human being imaginable. I'm trying to be supportive by not killing him.

That said, I had a total fucking freak out on Saturday when I purchased stamps from the ATM before making a deposit, THEN it told me that my account was overdrawn due to the stamp purchase, when if I had known that, I would have made the deposit first for FUCK'S SAKE. There was yelling and stomping and cries of, "I'm getting a second job!" and "I'm sick to death of being fucking broke all the time!" and "We're never going to get our heads above water!" It was the ultimate in melo-drama, let me assure you.

This morning, I had to call (strike one: phone usage) and make an appointment to see a dermatologist (strike two: explaining an embarrassing skin condition to a complete stranger) for my raging backne. In November, my OBGYN assured me that the backne "wasn't so bad", and that it was likely a result of my hormones going haywire. My body thought it was pregnant, then when we went in to remove all the shit that isn't necessary to have when the actual BABY isn't in there anymore, and all of a sudden I went from Pregnant to Vacuumed the Fuck Out, and my hormones apparently have some kind of PTSD that manifests itself by covering the upper half of my body in the biggest, deepest, most painful fucking hell-zits I've ever imagined in my wildest nightmares. And despite body wash with salicylic acid and daily astringe-ing and all kinds of freaking attention to the hell that is my upper torso, they are getting WORSE AND BIGGER AND MEANER and I'm pretty sure the one on my shoulder flipped me off this morning.

My doc said I can either go back on the pill or I can go see a dermatologist. So I'm trying the route less likely to land my ass in a padded room, at least for now.

On top of the fact that I can't look in a mirror without vomiting in my mouth a little bit (or fighting the urge to play Connect Four on my boobs), is the other fact that I've gained about 7lbs in the aftermath of the holiday season, compounded by my smoking cessation, and a hunger that has increased since I started running again. Technically, running should help me get into better shape, but so far has done nothing but hurt my legs and give me extra time to listen to The Smiths on my Ipod and feel sorry for myself.

Wah. Wah wah wah. Who needs kids when I'm the biggest baby around?

On the upside, I did start clearing out the spare bedroom to make room for...not exactly sure what I'll do with it, only that I'm hanging a dart board (which is funny because I hate darts). I also realized that clearing out one room multiplies itself into a project requiring the organization of that room plus two additional closets.

At least my screwdrivers are in length-order now. That should help me sleep at night.

23 comments:

  1. I have fischon plantis (something like that)... where I get ungodly itchy patches of skin on my legs (it's some sort of eczema or something)..
    so skin doc gave me cream.
    it healed up.
    that was two years ago.
    been a lovely two years i might add.
    I could wear shorts again without looking diseased.
    It's back.
    If I could remember the med, my family doc would probably give me a prescription, but i can't.
    so i'm trying to decide if should go back to skin doc.
    i don't know what the decision process is all about, because really it won't heal if I don't go to him.

    I have to say though.. aside from the awful itching I get, your situation sounds way worse.
    I hope the skin doctor can help you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having a shitty day too, and I am massively sleep deprived, but I will tell ya later....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathe, darlin'. Just breathe. It's Monday, clearly... but it will get better (at least that's what I keep saying in order to keep myself from going rollerblading in traffic... yeah, it is sort of a big deal, actually, since I haven't learned how to STOP on rollerblades). Anyway, I'm sending you happy vibes from Pigsknuckle. Sorry that they smell like manure... this IS Pigsknuckle. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get on a plane. Leave NOW. Do it while you can.
    Just close your eyes and pick a place on the map.

    It coudln't hurt.
    Could it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cat, tough times! I used to be the Backne King as well! My Acne was FUCKED UP! I had to go on Accutaine, which is like the MOST hardcore med on earth! it basically made my skin fall off like a fuckin lepper. However it did work. Why wouldnt you be on the pill? That should be required by law for all girls over 16 lol, I do realize that some people react adversely to the pill, similar to the way i react about condoms lol Hang in there girl, it appears someone has a case of the Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please do not go back on the pill. You do about as well on it as I do off of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll get the weight thing down. The running will help.

    and kudos to you for not having to kill Gray. (but if you need someone to hide a body, I'm your guy.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My legs and ass are fat, and I run every day. The hunger will subside, in the end exercise will cure everything. So they say. What the fuck do "they" know, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big deep breath, now hack off your hair cuz you think women your age should have short hair, suffer through another effing hot flash, forget your name and where you put your glasses, have screaming fit and throw things at family members.....oh wait that's what I do. You need to not do what I do. Trust me, if you do someones bound to get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you're having such a shitty day. I hope that it improves. I'm struggling with some skin issues right now too and it's amazing how soul-crushing they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I last took the pill (a few months ago), I became a raging, hormonal wench. And those are the nice adjectives.

    Hope you feel better soon. Now I'm dealing with the guilt of laughing at your bad day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheer up hon, it's good that you're venting. I think your body is just coming off of a hormone high. It'll clear up. Without sounding stupid, the anger and frustration in your head is the same thing that your body is doing, except it can't yell. Try and be patient. And stock up on tequila. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh honey. I'm sorry that life was so crappy to you today. I'm proud of you for keeping your smoking cessation... and for not killing Gray when his is out of control. Hugs, my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like it sucks, but keep looking up girl, it always gets worse before it gets better. Sending some good old healing vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mondays are always worse than Tuesdays. Of course Wednesdays are worse than Tuesdays so enjoy tomorrow while you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmmmmm....... I have yet to see the "Rollercoaster" of Gray's emotions.
    Hang in there, Killer!!

    Oh yeah, 7 Pounds?? It could easily be f'n water weight...
    As far as the treadmill is concerned, don't bite off more you can chew. Start out walking... In the long run, you'll be happy you did!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. I'm gonna go lay down now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dude,

    Pick the place on the map where I AM.

    I need a drinking buddy.

    STAT.

    =]

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cat, Cat, Cat, Kitty Cat, Mrowr, Meow, purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

    Wow, the sounds really supershitty and uncomfortable. Wonder what the dermatologist will say. Wonder what my natural doc would say - acne has some relation to some organ or another, or allergies, I forget which...

    God job for not killing Gray. I could have been killed today myself. I'm in the 1st week of my diet again and it turns me into a toxic bitch for a while in the beginning. Garett was getting really ticked off with me today until I reminded him that I'm insane right now & it's not personal.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cat, check it out:
    http://drpepi.com/acne.php

    I don't know what the exact treatment is, but I can vouch for this lady - she made my kid better when nobody else could figure it out. And she does phone consultations.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i gained ten pounds in two weeks over the holiday !!$*&^!%

    ReplyDelete
  22. Labels: Like You Care (Cool label.)

    Every day gets oogy for me by the time the sun sets. I'm just as emotional as a non-pregnant woman with the pregnant hormones.

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gawd, I work on the phone. It would suck if I had an aversion to it. Because basically, every day would suck for me then.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.