Thursday, January 01, 2009

Popping My Spin Cycle Cherry



Is it going to hurt? This Spin Cycle? IT'S A BIG BLOGGY DEAL folks. All the "real" bloggers are doing it. I want to be like them when I grow up. That's why I dig through their garbage cans and steal their panties. It's all about showing my respect for their blogs. The restraining orders are so unnecessary.

To be fair, I planned to do a post about my goals for 2009 anyway (notice I don't use the word "resolutions", because if there's one thing I'm not, it's resolved). Then I saw Petra's post and I was like, "FINALLY! I can get my toe in the door! The new visitors to my blog, they will be many! I might even get my first troll! THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!" And then Gray looked up at me and asked what the hell I was talking about and gave himself the sign of the cross. And he's not even Catholic. He predicted some time ago that I'd have 40 followers by the end of the year, and I'm sad to say that he was 3 people wrong. And I blame you, lurkers. It's all your fault. It's got nothing to do with my cop-out photo posts and my flagrant disregard for the commonly accepted measures of public decency. It's because you read but don't follow. Bastards.

So here you go, you mooching fools: My Goals for 2009


  • First and foremost, I am going to do SOMETHING with our barren, baby-less second bedroom. We moved twice in 3 months to get that extra bedroom - the bedroom that sits empty save for some boxes of garage sale baby toys and maternity clothes. Uh-uh, that's it. I'm done with preserving the shrine to Gage - that room costs us $80 a month buster, I love you and all, but Mama's putting up the damn dart board already. If anyone has a futon for sale, lemme know!

  • I know I did this last year, too, but I am going to quit smoking. For reals. STOP LAUGHING! I swear. Last New Year's Day, I quit cold turkey and made it 6 months. Then in June, my baby sister stumbled upon the dead body of someone she loved very much, and I rushed to her side to...I don't fucking know what I thought I was going to do, I just knew I needed to be there immediately...and I started smoking again right then and there. My mom was here visiting from Arkansas - She's the Queen of the Anti-Cigarette Coalition - and didn't batt an eyelash when she saw me light up that day. So I think I was justified. Then I quit again in August when I got knocked up, then I started again in October when I lost the baby...and here we are back to January already. I'm hitting the "reset" button on my lungs. Seriously. (so long as I don't get drunk enough to forget that I quit.)((so basically until next weekend.))

  • In my former life, I was renown for my greeting card-sending skills. They were mad, my skills. Everyone in the family and all of our friends could expect to receive cards for their birthday, anniversary, big occasions such as births or funerals, thank you's for everything imaginable, and holidays. I took great pride in remembering my ex's second cousin's husband's birthday, although I'd never met him before and probably never would. In fact, I'm sure many of those distant relatives found it very odd indeed that I had their home address. Some of them may have changed the locks on their doors. I also wrote a quarterly newsletter that I so cleverly named The Campbell Quarterly (freaking genius, huh?) and sent that out to keep the family abreast of our lives, our dogs, our jobs, etc. When my ex and I split, I sort of boycotted the whole greeting card thing, and I've been really bad about it every since. This weekend, I'm dusting off my old address book, burning all the pages with my ex's family, and I'm starting anew. I've already sent out Thank You's for Christmas and a birthday card to my grandpa Gus. (Yes, his actual name is Gus. Cutest damn thing I've ever heard.)

  • Running. I'm going to keep doing it. Honest. In fact, I was ::this:: close to skipping the indoor track yesterday after work - it was a holiday! I had food to gather for the party! I had to find the chip'n'dip! - but I dragged myself there anyway. Unfortunately, I neglected to notice the sign on the front door of the community center which read that they were closing at 4:30 for New Year's Eve, so I was midway through my second mile when they shut.the.lights.off. Um, whoops? Guess I'd better leave now.

So. That's pretty much all I can expect out of myself in one year, as I'm really quite a lazy mo'fo, and at any given moment of the day I'd rather be laying on the couch watching Jon&Kate Plus 8. Other things I would add to the list if I thought there was any chance in hell I could manage them: writing more positive feedback letters when I receive excellent customer service (or you know, any at all), submitting a few short stories for publication (I'm laughing, too), cooking with mostly local foods (ever had local tomatoes in MN in the winter? me either), and figuring out how to drink 3 bottles of wine by myself without blacking out (or at least passing out at the same time I black out, so as to avoid the awkward, "Did we have sex last night?" conversation.)

I'm ready for a new fucking year. 2009 go ahead and BRING IT.

29 comments:

  1. Cat, I apologize. I AM A LURKER. But, if it makes you feel better, I don't follow anyone. I'm a bitch like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your goals! Smoking was the hardest for me- started at 13 and didn't quit until I was 24. I still crave them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. To quote Nelson from "The Simpsons:" "HA-HA!!" I'm a lurker and you know it. I love to be considered a "Mooching Fool!"

    Happy New Year, Kitty Cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you little bandwagon jumper you! How 'bout this, I already follow you, maybe some return love would be good karma? And maybe I'll join you on the Spin Cycle bandwagon, even though all I can play is the tamborine, or maybe the triangle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got cojones. I like that! Great resolution. I intend to keep up with my running as well, and if Jon and Kate + 8 is on at the same time, bonus! You're linked and welcome to the Spin Cycle! (Thanks for the curse warning, but even though my site doesn't curse much, I kinda do..)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :O!

    You called me a jerk, but I will go ahead and say that your blog is quite appreciable too. I like that you swear. Bastards. Bring on the fucking new year? Is this the proper, and classy vocabulary you should/would/could expect from the 17-year-old?

    Anyway, I also blame lurkers, for more things than I can count with my mere ten fingers. Everything is their fault.

    I am really quite the lazy mofo as well.

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And no, I did not have to use a spellchecker.

    I really mean this: I like the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spin Cycle? MamaKat? Um.... maybe this is why you have 40 followers now and I still only have 24?

    Plus you are cute, and funny, don't have stretch marks and even your drivel is highly entertaining.

    I hate you.

    Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, we can run together. Well, not together, but in a spirity kinda way.

    Those are good resolutions. See? That didn't hurt at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From the amount of comments you get, I suspect there are quite a few who click over from their Google reader, such as moi.
    Happy New Year, woman!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a grandpa named Gus too! I know we are soul mates now! LOL! Anyways Happy New Year and I hope you have a kickass 2009. Oh and I have a whole bunch of extra furniture up in this biyatch if you can figure a way to get it back to the states from England.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my dear girl-crush fellow Blogger. You are awesome. What a great bunch of resolutions for 2009- you will totally kick ass at every single one. You. Are. Superwoman. And the baby stuff? Wow. Amazing. Oh, and I tried the 3 bottles of wine bit a bunch of times. Didn't work. But trying it out was the best bit! (oh, and i updated my site, so you can start stalking me too) xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look at you, spinning with the rest of us. You're one of the cool kids now (you already were though). I like the list and though I'm sad to see the baby shrine go, the dart board sounds way cool! Good luck sticking to these..

    ReplyDelete
  14. My new year's resolution?? STOP LURKING. So. Life's short and I like to laugh, and your blog makes me do that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The question is really whether or not 2009 is ready for you! I propose that it is.

    And I'm bumping you one over 40 so there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome to the Spin Cycle. I love it. I'm not participating this week, I think I'll be late on this one. Your goals are fabulous. It's my goal to eat more bacon. I had two blts this week, so I'm off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your writing, I look forward to a New Year of adventures, good luck on your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great goals!! I'm so going to keep tabs on the smoking thing. Only cuz I love ya though! And if you want, I'll give you my address, because I totally love getting mail that doesn't include a statement and a balance due! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stumbled across your blog this morning and I'll be back! Yer funny!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good resolutions!

    I didn't make any. yet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. John and Kate + 8 is the Devil's own show and I will make it my Personal Mission in 2009 to see to it that this Evil is stopped.
    Soon. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wii is cheaper than frequenting bars. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ok here I am. Leaving you a comment. Can you see me??
    Hellooooooooooo!
    Delurking. Oh wait. I never lurked to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok here I am. Leaving you a comment. Can you see me??
    Hellooooooooooo!
    Delurking. Oh wait. I never lurked to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm not a lurker. Yet! MaHahahaha....

    We use the same blogger templete. Does that make us cousins? Will you send me cards? I love card but am way too lazy to send them out.

    Welcome to the Spin.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I cannot go bar hopping and not want to light up. I haven't smoked in over 6 years, but damn every now and then I want to.

    Good luck on your resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kel: I expect nothing from you, you bitch. Nice shoes.

    Bobbie: You're smokin' right now, mama!

    Tolz: You're a blog-lurkin', cartoon-lovin' fool. But damn do you drink good beer.

    J: I think what we need is more cowbell.

    Sprite: Did you consider 7up before you settled on Sprite? I find it's less sugary. Although that may not be true of your child.

    Michael: I like the way you talk about liking the way I write. And I meant "jerk" in the good way.

    Kat: I hate you too, but that's because all cats are rivals at heart.

    Heinous: I just ran - did you? I think I could smell your stench.

    Witchypoo: I'm just getting acquainted withe Google reader. Necessary because there are too damn many of you people for me to keep up with.

    Teri: You still believe in Santa, don't you. Well, sorry to tell you but...we're not real. We're your parents.

    Myshka: Do you look anything like Stacey London? Cause I might have a girl-crush on you, too.

    Casey: I'm dizzy already, how do you guys do it?

    Marilyn: That's the best resolution I've heard so far.

    blueviolet: Thank you for the bump.

    steenky bee: Thank fucking god you're back. Vengence free, but I'll forgive you for that.

    Rachel: Thank you and ditto.

    Dee: You sure you know what you're offering there?

    Beth: Thanks! Yer sweet. Might want to brush up on the spelling though (says the girl who's pretty sure she spelled vengence wrong but is too lazy to look it up).

    Kate: HOP TO WOMAN!

    C.S.Perry: Always with the paranoia! Don't they make pills for that?

    Teri: Well, over time perhaps.

    Michelle: Quit messing with your URL. It's exhausting.

    Michele: We're bloggy cousins, which means I will both send you mail and probably imagine inappropriate romantic situations involving your blog.

    Nikki: That's like saying it's impossible, but go ahead and try! You bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yee-ha! Nice resolutions, especially the stop smoking one. My hubby is doing that one too (who, by the way, you are welcome to if it doesn't work out between us, but sorry, you can't have either of my kids--I do have priorities, you know).

    And by the way, can I get that hot pink thong back? I haven't had anything to wear with my bright pink push up bra since you nicked it...

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.