Thursday, March 12, 2009

It WOULD Mean More Sweat Pants...

So it's been just under six months since my miscarriage, and I feel like I'm back around day 15 somewhere. I realize everyone grieves differently, and it probably takes much longer to get past a lost pregnancy for some people than it does for others - not to imply that the fast-grievers are heartless or less devastated or more stable (although almost everyone beats me in the stability department, even that one guy who was a girl, who had a baby, but as a guy).

Some couples decide that the best thing for them to do is to get pregnant again right away. To me, that option was too much like buying a puppy the day after putting down an old, beloved companion. I needed to pay tribute to our little lost Gage, and acknowledge that he wasn't interchangeable, wasn't replaceable. He wasn't a light bulb we could change just because it burned out.

I got it into my head that I needed to make peace with the possibility of having another miscarriage. Not, like, be expecting one or anything, because we have about an 80% chance of success with our next pregnancy. But I thought I should be "back from the brink", "will make it though no matter what", kind of okay with the possibility.

Some people cope by getting a dog (which I would have done had we lived somewhere that allows them) or a cat (still trying not to do that)((THINK LITTER BOX!!)) or a fish (we got 2) or a motorcycle (FUCK NO).

Some women name their lost baby, or they go to therapy twice a week to cry about their own mothers inability to show affection (can't relate), or they obsess about what may have caused the miscarriage and how to prevent it in the future (totally relate).

Some people start going to church. Some people stop going to church. Some folks throw themselves into their career (I don't have one) or volunteer work (no one wants me, it seems)((plus I'm lazy)). Some couples break up. Lots of them do, actually.

I knew right away it would be at least a year before I would be ready to try for children again, and after the last six months of bouncing around between anger and sadness and acceptance and blinding jealousy and WINTER, I'm beginning to tack additional time onto the original waiting period.

I feel less ready than I did in November, for a LOT of reasons, the least of which that I've realized how long it will take to pay for all of the miscarriage-related medical expenses. Financially, I've taken several steps backwards - fine, I've been dragged by my hair - the savings egg I'd amassed is gone, and my health insurance plan now pays for less and costs more than it did in 2008. I should be BACK TO SQUARE ONE by August, but still - that's about a year behind schedule, and if you know me, you know I'm a schedule whore.

Also, I've thought a lot about my reasons for wanting children, and I'm disturbed to realized that not a single one of them is selfless. No offense to all my readers out there who are parents, but you guys are seriously some selfish bastards, what with your having children for the tax incentives and the beer fetching possibilities, the unconditional love (which, I might add, is NOT a given once your kid is old enough to wipe his own ass)((or realize you're only human)), the personal growth opportunities, the American Dream, the cute Christmas card. You should all be ashamed of yourselves!

But seriously, all my reasons start with "I" or "me", and I'm really not sure how I feel about that. Especially when I think about my own life and some of the massively difficult struggles I've had. I don't know if I'm ready to put the weight of this world onto any one's shoulders just now. I know my own parents started out with the best of shiny, happy intentions, and it must be painful for them sometimes when they consider all my siblings and I have gone through/slash/done to ourselves in our short live spans.

One of the poets last night read three poems she wrote for her three children and their three entirely different and equally horrifying diseases: multiple sclerosis, diabetes, and bipolarity. With my luck, my three kids will each end up with one of these fucked up syndromes. Although the mop-looking thing might help get them a job in the janitorial arts. And even if all my hypothetical children beat the odds and are totally healthy, between their father's invisible chin and their mother's camel nose, it's basically like giving them a handicap on their face.

Or I might die and leave them (ALONE WITH GRAY) without a mother. Gray's father died when he was a teenager and it seriously jacked up his world for a lot of years. Granted, he is who he is today partly because of that loss, but I often wonder how his life would have been different if his dad were still here.

Or I might traumatize my children by dressing them in matching, neon pink Body Glove outfits. Thanks Mom.

I guess what I'm trying to say here, in a really convoluted way, is that I'm starting to question if it's right for Gray and I to have children simply because I want and excuse to eat strained plums and stop taking showers. I'm just not so sure anymore.

26 comments:

  1. Even though it's been 6 months, it really wasn't all that long ago. I think its fair that you are questioning whether or not you really want children, but I also think it's part of how you are dealing with the loss. You are right, Gage is not a light bulb to be changed. Give it time, you'll figure out what you really want. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just use apathy as birth control, like we did, and it will work itself right out. I'm well suited for apathy. I think you are too and with your declining sex drive, it shouldn't be that risky. I'm just talking shit as a person here. As a nurse, I send you to talk to your doctor about properly addressing your feelings and fears.

    As far as grieving goes, there is no right way to do it. The way you do it is the way you do it. Maybe writing this blog is helping? Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should deal with this in your own time...no matter how long that is. If you decide to not try again, due to plums or showers, or whatever, then that's the decision you make. Just make the one that is right for you. I'm sure everyone will support you.

    My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat, thats deep, and such a personal decision.

    I have a best friend whom, all of us gal pals thought would be the PERFECT mother, of all of us, she was the 'Mother' of the group, just always right about everything you know?

    Well, of all of us girls, she is the only one who did not have children. Because of shitty circumstances, and her making hard choices based on timing. They were the right choices as it turns out... we always knew she was smart.

    Because she is such a loving person, I think she sometimes regrets it, that she doesn't have children.

    But at the same time, when the nightly news is filled with stories of drugs being peddled to kids in candy form, and kidnappings, and bullies, and gangs, and trap after trap after trap after trap,...........


    I actually see a flicker of relief on her face, as she trots off with her boyfriend for a weekend in Vegas, or a week overseas to go parachuting in France, able to do whatever she wants because she is unencumbered and free.....

    It is truly a wonderful thing to be a parent, but don't let anyone tell you it is everything, it is just one thing.

    Oprah is not a parent, and she is doing quite well for herself.



    I can tell you that I am afraid for my children, for the world they will grow up in. Its not like when we were growing up, our children are not free, they are not safe, we are told to worry about everything, and it makes us a little insane I think.


    Don't get caught in the romance of it, if its not 'just' what 'you' want.

    You do have to give your life away when you have a child, though you don't regret it, so don't be afraid. But also, I had a great pre-baby life so I was ready for it, still its not easy.

    I am deeply sorry for your loss.

    Pls try not to sweat what will be, make the most of what is. And if you are meant to, when you are meant to, that baby will show up, and you will be very happy for it, promise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is all part of it. Embrace today's feelings and don't worry so much about later. You'll know as you deal through NOW what the future will hold. And you'll be happy with that path.

    But you're perfectly (ahem) normal. This is part of the process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think... wait. Let me start by saying my opinion is worthless, and I don't know anything. That makes me feel better.

    Okay.

    I think the fact that you're asking yourself these questions means that you are more than qualified to have children. It's the people who DON'T worry about their abilities, and the future, and their fears, and the responsibility that scare me.

    You're not as insane as you think you are.

    I don't have kids. Honestly, I don't know if I want kids. I worry about what would happen if I did have them... if I'd screw it up, or if I'd somehow still love my dog more than them, or if they'd grow up to be just as fucked up as I am... I'd like nothing better than to be a "good" mom one day, racing around to doctors' appointments and piano lessons while simultaneously creating meal plans and folding laundry, but the fact that I can't know for sure whether or not I'll be good at it prevents me from even imagining the possibilities. It's not like getting a job... this shit's for real.

    What I do know is that all moms worry. And so all the worrying you're doing now is nothing compared to what you'll probably do once you decide to try for a baby again (and have one, or two, or 19 of them). And that's precisely what will make you good at it. I think we've all figured out for the most part that you're a genius, right?

    What I'm saying is, basically, I'm still demanding that you get a cat. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 6 months is not that long. Really. Like you said, everyone deals with it differently. If you're not ready now, you're not ready now.

    That doesn't, however, extrapolate into whether it's right for you to have children at ALL. It's not some test you failed, dude. If anything, you're passing - Moms worry, they have angst, nothing is a breeze. You'll never be *really* ready. Just go with it when you feel it's time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it makes you feel better, everyone who plans on having children does so for themselves. You'd be surprised how quickly you drop the "I" routine and do everything for them. Don't use that as a negative excuse since it really won't be about you once you have kids.

    I get the buying a new puppy analogy, I never understood how a brand new puppy was supposed to make people feel better. That being said, you'll get there one day when it just feels ok to think about thinking about it and then one day you'll decide to try again. I guess I got a little too deep for the comments but fuck it. I'm sorry you went through that and you're definitely still grieving but someday, you'll feel differently about trying again. In the mean time, come over and play on my swing set.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No one gets to tell you how to do this. It's yours,the whole messy, painful thing, but I'm so glad you talk about it. I didn't, and it made it hard to get past. I admire your honesty.

    When (or if) you're ready to try again, you'll figure it out. Really.
    In the meantime, try not to beat yourself up, and email me if you want to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sound like a completely rational woman, with inherent wants and desires. You will know the right thing to do, so don't doubt yourself. All will be fine Dear Girl! I am so sorry for your loss. (I lost my first child at 5 months along in the pregnancy. Had two biological children and then adopted two children) Personally, I needed the mothering experience in this lifetime. Do what is right for you! Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are no rules. No shoulds. Just what feels right for you at any particular time. Period.

    Or, at least that is what I tell myself as I try to maneuver myself through many of the same questions as you've talked about, in the light of my husband's cancer diagnosis, which has, let's face it, changed EVERYTHING.

    I really admire your honesty. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gah, this is one of these posts where it's easier to click away than to comment. I always worry I will offend someone!

    I think that you ought to keep pottering along how you are. If you feel the need to have another child, great! surely your hormones and your body and mind will all jump up an down on your senses and beat them into submission with your desire to procreate.

    But if that doesn't happen? Thats fine too. In the scheme of things, 6 months isn't a long time at all.

    (((hugs)))

    God, now I'm hoping that this came across okay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi sweets. THIS is the dream that you had. THIS is what I meant by having to go through the fire and gritting your teeth. This is what you were preparing yourself for. You can do it, but it'll take time. You'll know once you get there that whatever you decide will be right for you and Gray. Hang in there, sweetheart. Hugs. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't give up on the dream altogether though. You have wanted children since the day I met you.

    They would always have auntie Chelle just like ours will always have auntie Cat.

    To be fair...I never ate strained plums and I showered every day. It was the dipping of the bread into the brown gravy that kept me going back for more. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Theres no rush. Take your time grieve and make the choices that are right for you

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have something waiting for you over at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! I gotta say that when i logged into you blog today, i was expecting the usual humor, that i love about you cat! This was better, this post was a DEEPLY personal reflection, you are right to question many things! its a traumatic experience, its tough to get through, Id take my divorce and all the BS involved over this anyday, hang in the girl, when you are ready you will know

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sorry ;( there is not a time limit on grieving... but there is not a rule that says that just because you have another pregnancy you are replacing one you lost.

    I did not replace the child that I have because I had another one.

    Only you will know when the time is right. There is no reason to hurry thing to fast...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never wanted children at all..
    some due to my bad childhood, but I think mostly I have my dad's genes.
    He never wanted kids and shouldn't have had any - but what's done is done. I love him and forgave him.
    So this is not my sob story - just sayin.

    I can relate to "the struggle".
    Even though I am firm in my conviction not to have kids - there were times I questioned myself. Thinking how selfish I was.

    Looking back I know it was the right choice for me.

    Too many children I can give to,
    without taking on something I wasn't prepared to handle.

    So that's how I've dealt with things.

    I have 5 nieces and 5 nephews.
    I have friends with kids.
    I love kids! I just don't want my own.

    So I dote on others kids and
    enjoy the silence at home of not having them myself.

    I was pregnant once though - lost the baby. And even though I didn't want the child, I know the pain of that loss.

    I'm still not over it and it's 26 years later. It doesn't hurt as often. But there are times my mind goes to that place of "what would my baby be like today?"
    and I find myself gritting my teeth and carrying a very strong pain in my heart.

    I'm sure you realize it won't ever go away - and it becomes less often over time..

    But what kind of mother would you be if you didn't feel that pain from time to time?

    See, you already do have a child.
    He might not be here with you.
    But he's yours. And your pain for him is real and totally understandable.

    And I think you are wise, and a very good mother for being in touch with what you are dealing with and waiting before having another child.

    Hang in there.
    You are an awesome, amazing woman.
    And when/if you do have children, those babies will be so lucky to call you mom.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hear so much of myself in your writing here. Been there, done that. I will tell you that I don't know what the hell I am saying as I am certainly as screwed up as you feel you are. I will tell you that grieving is something that we all do. And that it can bring out a part of us that is very contrary to what we always thought of ourselves.

    It is ok to be selfish. When you have a child, it should be all about you, because you are the one that has to deal with it.

    It is NEVER the right time to have a baby. There is never enough money, enough time, the right moment at work, whatever. There is only you, and Gray, well, and the fish. But they don't get an opinion in the matter, so just you and Gray, really.

    You want to chat with someone who walked the same path you are on, email me. Sometimes, the company of a stranger with the same experience is oddly helpful.

    And children do survive being forced to wear odd matching outfits. Besides, it is a parents right to do that. It is our one perk for all the shit the kids put us through.

    And that way you give them material to talk smack about you on theior blog when they grow up :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Give yourself more time, you never know when you are going to wake up one day and be ready and realize it is for the right reasons. And if not, then so be it. But, know this: no matter what, if you love your child, try your best and not poison them or beat them, most likely they are going to be fine AND they will be the best thing that ever happened to you. Take it from me, the woman who was told by her toddler last night that she ate her boogers and I thought it was the cutest thing I had ever heard. Seriously, they change everything, and in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lots of good people here sharing advice, experience and wisdom. I only have this to add:

    Trust your heart. You will now what is right, and when it is the right time.

    Don't over-think it

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you want kids, don't let this one get you down. I miscarried twice, but it's worth the heartache to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know it doesnt feel this way now but you're lucky you are realizing all of this before you had a kid. I mean I seriously kept having babies cause I had all these cute names picked out. Now tell me that isnt fucked up? You'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Although I am the youngest of three, my mom really had no business having kids and today admits that three was too many. That being said, I knew my limits from day one and that was one child and one child only

    I'm way too selfish to give more of myself than that and at least I learned that lesson before I started to have kids.

    I think what you are doing is something we all need to do about a lot of things, Shut up and listen to what your heart is telling you, then go on with your life and repeat then go on with your life and then if you still feel the same the third time around,you know what you need to do or not do

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're right, just about all reasons for having children are selfish ones. Like you're giving them such a great gift right? Born to a life of pain and struggle, just to die at the end and go where, exactly?

    But... your family and your life are enriched a thousand fold for each new life brought into it. If you can handle it :)

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.