Saturday, May 30, 2009

Fuck Cancer

I went to Lisa's funeral this morning and it sucked. Hard. It was also strangely good to see so many old friends again. When I got home, I headed immediately to lay by the pool, my intent being to finish Eclipse whilst acquiring my first sunburn of the season.


That's right, I'm saying, "Fuck you, Cancer" by giving myself skin cancer. Go figure that logic right out, I dare you.


It's a crazy-beautiful day here and tomorrow is supposed to be even better, and have I mentioned before how hugely glad I am that winter has gone the way of the acid wash jeans? Before the awful funeral, Gray and I spent one glorious night at our oasis in Wisconsin.


Gray spun the tunes while I helped make beer-in-the-butt chicken.







Then I took an inordinate amount of photos of the spring garden. I don't know what the purple things are, but I wish I could eat them. They look like cotton candy's edgy cousin from the big city.





And, of course, these went marching, but not at all in an orderly, one-by-one fashion.




I hope they aren't headed to carry off a pic-y-nic basket.


Lisa, may your eternal picnic basket overflow with pork products and beer, and may your team always kick ass in the angelic badminton tournament.


XO

19 comments:

  1. I'll be combatting cancer with sunblock today...take THAT mother fucker. (that's yelling at cancer...not you)

    I'm praying for Lisa's husband and little girl. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to a funeral that didn't suck. My condolences to her family.

    Glad to hear that you are flipping cancer the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always awful when a friend dies - a chum of mind passed away last week from completely rampant cancer that she'd been fighting for several years. Not sure if I can manage the funeral.

    The purple plants I think are Alliums which are related to the onion family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat...I am so sorry for your loss! Cancer sucks! I lost two sisters to cancer, both when they were just 39 years young. My Aunt is currently in the fight of her life, with breast cancer! I HATE CANCER!!! Your photos are so beautiful! You are very talented! My man and I will do beer can chicken soon and I can't wait! Glad you guys had such a wonderful time together! My guy and I are going on an Alaskan cruise beginning June 6th and I can't wait! Photo ops galore! Will post photos upon my return. Blessings to you, and slather on some sunscreen, will ya! ;) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry, darlin. You are in my heart. Psst, it's witchypoo, apparently signed in under her secret blog identity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We call it beer-butt chicken :)

    I thought the purple things were Lily of the Nile.

    Cancer can go fuck itself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fuck cancer is right.
    So sorry for your loss.
    Funerals suck.

    And seriously, sunscreen the fuck up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ((hugs))

    I'm all about the Fuck You to cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My poor kids don't get to see a ray of sunlight without being slathered in sunscreen. I used to pour baby oil on to help my skin fry faster but now I know better...

    Fuck cancer. I'm still so sorry about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The purple flowers look like Agapanthus (Lily of the Nile - or my personal favorite, Agatha's Panties).

    And cancer does suck. I don't know anyone who hasn't been affected in some way by cancer. My dad died of cancer when he was 36. It sucked then and it still sucks now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pics.
    Nice hardwood floor.

    So sorry about your friend.
    Cancer sucks ass indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah beer can up the chickens ass! Cancer does fuckin suck! Best memorial blog post ever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy to hear about your upcoming skin cancer. We can endure that together (I NEVER sunscreen!)

    Thos purple flowers are allium or "globe flower". They ARE related to the onion family. A bulb. Planted in fall. I grow lots of them-- they're sooo cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fuck cancer indeed. I got a sunburn yesterday too. It's hard giving cancer the finger when you open the door for it. Sigh.

    Allium.

    Mmm, chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice pix darlin! and boy, am I glad I cleaned the house!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dude,

    I thought winter was gone, but it fucking SNOWED here yesterday. WTF. That is the Adirondacks for ya.

    And I agree....Fuck Cancer. I have so much respect for people that fight so hard to beat it. I am not sure that I would have it in me, but I guess you do what you gotta do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Damn right Fuck cancer- I"m sorry you lost your friend. She will remain with you in your memory. Love the chicken pic- made me hungry... only for a cooked one of course :) Hugs to you in your time of loss.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.