Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Wondering How To Apply This To A Bad Hair Day

Ok, so you know that term "beer goggles"? I have this theory that this phenomenon doesn't just cause members of the opposite sex to appear increasingly sponge-worthy in direct proportion to the amount of malt liquor you've consumed over the course of an evening. Self-esteem seems to be affected by booze, as do sounds (hip hop is no longer obnoxious, it's the best dance song EVAH)((that guy's super high pitched voice isn't faggy, it's Robin Thicke-y)). You see what I mean.

Case in point: Friday in Wisconsin, I was one bloody mary and two grapefruit-vodka's into my evening when I stopped into the bathroom (again) and realized that DAMN I LOOKED HOT TONIGHT! And then I wondered maybe if it was the lighting in the room, kind of dim and forgiving, making the camel nose appear softer, more streamlined and gave the dark circles under my eyes a sexy glow.

Each subsequent trip the pisser left me more convinced that not only was I having an extremely good hair day, but I'll be a monkey's giant asshole if my teeth weren't just a tiny bit straighter and more pearly white, and my boobs were rockin' too, now that you mention it. I fully intended to snap some shots of myself to document the hotness, but when I went to get my camera, I was distracted by a bowl of guacamole on the kitchen counter. And another grapefruit vodka.

Next morning, same bathroom, my reflection in that same mirror induced a bout of appearance-induced depression that I couldn't kick until we hit the cheese store in Comstock on the way home. Thank heaven for pepper jack and beef sticks, man.

Another piece of evidence to back up my theory: Gray stayed up one night last week, drinking beers and jammin' on his gee-tar while I sawed logs in the other room (or possibly finished reading Eclipse, though I'll never cop to that)((or tried to block out the sound of a certain Metallica song being played over and fucking over again. again)). He later confided in me that he quite innocently, mind you, ended up "kind of hammered", and had a hard time standing up when he undressed for bed.

Apparently he hadn't realized the effect of the alcohol on his razor sharp senses and his crane-eqsue balance because THE GUITAR PLAYING! OH GOOD LORD, the magical, wonderful guitar playing. He was NAILING those solos, he claimed. He was playing better than he had in weeks, and he had the booze to thank. He wished I could have heard it. He wished ANYONE could have heard him. He felt like a rock star. A really under-rated one.

So I asked if perhaps the booze may have been responsible for making him THINK he was playing awesome (i.e., DKS, or Drunken Karaoke Syndrome), and he declined to comment.

21 comments:

  1. Nope. Booze fixes everything. Especially crippling depression. That's what it fixes best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious!! But, you're right. A shot of good scotch will soften the edges on many things!! Several shots and we're all beautiful rock gods!! :)~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beer-goggles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beer goggles have done me WRONG in the past, DKS is why I am able to work one of my jobs as a karaoke host! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I left my vanity with my waistline. Don't care if I look good. Clean is what I aim for these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. capture it in a pill, bottle it with a cute label, and you're a millionaire in no time. who wouldn't want that 'i'm so good at everything i do but only when i'm wasted' feeling all the time? i'd pay a premium for that and it'd still be cheaper than real therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grapefruit vodka, holy crap that's good stuff. Thank God that wasn't around when I was 23.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious, and absolutely brilliant. I was going to agree on the "bottle it & you'll be a millionaire" thing, but I think it might already be bottled...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank heavens for beer. I even appear to be a good mother when I look at my drunken reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wanna see funny, make him play Guitar Hero hammered...that is funny shit, just trust me on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I took a roadtrip to Wisconsin (don't ask why) with a bunch of buddies last year. We ended up getting hammered at some live band place in Milwaukee. My buddy summed it up best after tipping a few too many ales. He said, "Man, I'm really Wisconsin handsome!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just now catching up on your blog after a much-too-long hiatus. Strange things start happening when you don't get enough Cat in your diet.

    I can't believe you're reading Twilight. I plan on reading it one day, just to see what all the fuss is about, but I'm really scared I'll hate it. And if I DO hate it, I'll subconsciously start disliking all the people who love it (aka EVERYONE). On the other hand, I'm even more scared I WILL like it, which would totally make me an emo teenage girl. Blech.

    I'm really sorry about your friend Lisa. Cancer can blow me.

    Beer makes everything better. It makes me "funnier," Mike can "sing better," and my mom once told me that being drunk is the only way she can speak Spanish fluently. Which is very odd, by the way, because I think my mom knows a whole two words in Spanish when she's sober. Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too bad it isn't legal for me to wear the beer googles to work. It might make a few people look like excellent employees!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah, beer goggles make everything look better. I've had those nights and I HAVE snapped pictures of my hotness only to wake up in horror at the Medusa lookalike on my camera.

    Oh, and I thought you said your "camel toes" looked softer. Shows you where my mind is. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I become an amazing singer after about 3 margaritas. And that's exactly why we bought our own karaoke machine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i am super funny when i have a few wobbly pops. and witty. and beautiful. and i could totally fight that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOFRIGGINL!! Beer goggles will get you every time! How that post brings up some humiliating experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always thought I danced 10 times better when drunk when in reality, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. uh that was my comment above.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is why I love wine. It makes EVERYTHING better.

    (as she chugs her second glass)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh gosh, EVERYTHING seems better when I'm a tad snookered! So, where did I place those "Beer Goggles" again?

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.