Monday, September 28, 2009

The Bouquet Is A Metaphor For Gray's Balls

So.

Gray was the best man in a wedding this weekend, and I was the self-appointed Task Mistress. I know that sounds totally dirty, but all it really meant was that I forced the bride and groom to CARE about timeliness and preparation. I know, it's like I was born to be the life of the party.

I mean really: what fun are weddings without schedules and forethought and...schedules?! No fun, that's how fun.

So, as self-appointed Task Mistress, my duty was to annoy everyone. It was like a dream come true for me. In fact, I'm gonna go ahead and take all of the credit for the blessed union. Without me, the lovely couple might never had made it to the altar. Scratch that, I bet they never would have MET had it not been for my future involvement in the placement of their tea lights at the reception. God works in mysterious ways, so if if He didn't already know I would be there this weekend to provide oil blotting papers for the bride, I bet neither of them would even have been born. God would have been like, "Meh...why even bother?"

So you're welcome, Bride and Groom, for giving you the gift of life.

Something unexpected happened at the reception Saturday night: I caught the bouquet. I know, right? Amazing that I didn't poke my own eye out in the process, although believe you me I would have poked grandma in the eye if I'd had to. I spent quite a bit of time in preparation for this feat, sizing up my opponents and contemplating strategy. (There was this one big chick I figured I'd need strategy to outmaneuver, but it turned out she was married to the black guy.) That bundle of roses was MINE, bitches!

Except when it came time for the bouquet toss, I realized that I was LITERALLY the only single woman at the wedding. There I was, standing in the middle of a gigantic ring of married, judging eyes, all of them taunting my singularity like the crowds in the Colosseum must have tormented the lion's next snack.

I could feel their pity. Poor single girl, those eyes said. Must be the nose. (no, really - actually had a convo that night about my nose and was told that yes, perhaps I SHOULD consider rhinoplasty. looks are important)((let that be a warning that if you fish for compliments, you might catch a burn instead)). I wanted to shout that I hadn't always been single. I'd been one of them once. But there was no time for explanations.

My head swam as I dove for those silk flowers like my life depended upon it. When I felt the bouquet him my hands, I raised them above my head in victory, flaunting my prize to the cheering crowd.

And then I did the most important thing: I gave Gray the look and said, "You know what this means, right?", to which he replied, "That I'm moving to Canada?"

Little did he know that it was his turn to catch the garter. At least he wasn't alone out there: another single guy battled him for the prize, but he'd been married twice already so I don't think he was trying very hard.

Gray was victorious. And also he's totally fucked.

There's just no fighting that kind of fate.

16 comments:

  1. A few things:
    1. I don't see anything wrong with your nose. And I envy your arms.
    2. FUCKING AWWW :) Totally cute.
    I guess that was only two things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what you're saying is, You Totally Zipped up that Bag of Wedding Bones! Congrats. (I think.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God, you two are so cute. Love it.

    And if you do anything to your nose I may hunt you down and hurt you. You are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like this is a done deal. I accept evites for weddings. FYI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...same thing happened to hubs and I at a wedding a short 6 months before ours. :O) Good luck....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, you're next. Am I invited? You guys are cute, btw. Stop it, yes, I said something nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forcing the single ladies to line up to catch the bouquet seems like a cruel joke. I refused to toss my bouquet at my wedding. My mother was horrified. So really it was a win-win situation: none of my single girlfriends were humiliated AND my mother was pissed off at me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great dress. Fabulous even.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annoying people about timliness is awesome. I would have punched someone right in their nose if they told me I should look into rhinoplasty. Grr your nose is just fine! ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesomeness.

    my boyfriend and i were at a wedding a couple weeks ago. for the first time in 4 years i was willing to at least TRY and get the bouquet. i didnt.

    but since i went out, i forced him out for the garter....

    and when i did, i watched him back all the way the F up to the back so that he would NOT catch it.

    LMAO.

    so, awesomeness for you two!!!! whens the wedding ??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know that "oh look, the poor single girl" gaze so many times, I've lost count

    ReplyDelete
  12. My wife's maid of honour was a little Korean nazi who scared everyone shitless. There were NO problems.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So I think this is the first time I have seen a picture of you two-- great looking couple :)

    ...I have been that 'person' at several weddings... actually all of them that I photograph or are a part of.... I end up feeling like a wedding planner... not my favorite job but I hate seeing people all look around and wait for it to happen without planning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I followed your comment from Casey's and have to say this fist time visit was wildly entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me again! When you have a sec hop over to my blog, there is an award for you in today's posts (see Friday Fantastics)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's the most precious picture ever. And don't worry about your nose, you should hear some of the things I've heard about my gigantic tongue... from DOCTORS. Sigh.

    When my cousin got married, I was FORCED to stand with all the single girls to catch the bouquet. And I was the only one who didn't even make a move for it... as all the others slammed each other to the ground and wrestled it out. I didn't even raise my arms.

    Then Mike was FORCED to stand with all the single guys, and he tried SO EFFING HARD to catch the garter! I mean, like, all out punches and shoving and CRAZINESS! I've never seen so many guys or girls trying so hard to get married, haha. It almost made me feel bad for not putting in more effort. Almost.

    So... when will I be receiving my invitation?!!

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.