Tuesday, October 20, 2009

::This:: Is As Excitng As It Gets

I went to a ginormous book sale on Saturday. That's the most exciting thing I've done this week. That, and I discovered gin and tonics are tasty.

Seriously, I'm not even kidding. I should have warned you to get out the tissues before you started reading this. IT'S THAT SAD.

I've been studying for a quiz over Renaissance prosody (unrhymed pentameter vs. iambic tetrameter, rhyme scheme, meter, etc).

I've been reading Marlowe's The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus (Zzzzzzzz)((seriously, it's a story about a guy who sells his soul to the devil - not exactly going to have a surprise ending now, will it?!)).

I've been studying I King Henry IV so that I can perform act 5, scene 4 in class tomorrow night. I have two lines. One of them is, "This is the strangest tale that ere I heard." I don't remember the other line, something about breathing too long or some shit. I get to hold a shield while other people have sword fights.

I've been researching a paper over the Renaissance madrigal form of poetry and music (it's polyphonic, aren't you glad you know that now?). I'm going to try to compare Orlando Gibbons' The Silver Swan (one of the first "pop" songs in England) to a more contemporary British pop song like Kylie Minogue's remake of Locomotion.

Netflix is sending me Othello, King Lear, Macbeth, Hamlet and The Tempest.

The library is saving Paradise Lost and Gulliver's Travels on audiocassette. These are for when I'm feeling REALLY zaney. Probably on a Saturday afternoon.

I started reading D.H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover, you know, just for fun.

Gray is torturing me with the Horror Movie Spectacular (I think I mentioned it last year, too). So far this month, I've watched: Paranormal Activity (SO GOOD), Susperia, Halloween II, Dawn of the Dead (original), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake), The Re-Animator, The Beyond, Saw I, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, and The Exorcist (fell asleep to that one, but I've seen it before). I probably forgot a few others, or my eyes rolled back into my head and I had a grand mal seizure during the last few flicks of the weekend because OH DEAR GOD ENOUGH WITH THE HORROR MOVIES ALREADY.

I also made a fucking KILLER orange chicken recipe in the crock pot and now I have big plans to try apple glazed pork chops using the same basic recipe. If you're a pot-head like me, go check out Stephanie's blog. It's AWESOME. I love the index feature, my co-workers and I are bananas for this website right now. Go buy her cook book and send it to me. Seriously. GO NOW.

And if you'll excuse me, I'm going to pay some bills now.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the horror films. My life has enough stress in it that I don't feel the need to add to it.

    Now, I just wish I could get inspired to plan ahead enough to find reason to use the crock pot. In my defense, most recipes turn to mush after 10 to 12 hours (my typical work day).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me miss being in college. Seriously. Now that I teach 15 years olds, poetry is reduced to asking them to quit writing in couplets that sound like a bad combination of Mother Goose and rap.

    Meter. Most of them do not get beyond counting syllables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... My... God! You're one of those SMART people! Glad to hear you're getting some balance by watching the horror movies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know that any well stock personal library in the colonial & Revolutionary war period of America had Paradise Lost? Yep, T. Jefferson had 2 copies. Just one more fact for you. Sorry ahead of time if it knocks out something important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I fell asleep like seven times while reading this. And yet somehow I really, really miss English class...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you're sippin on gin and juice? LAIIIIIIIIIIID back, with your mind on your money and your money on your mind? You're probably too young to remember that song.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.