Monday, November 17, 2008

My Dumb Ass, et al

All you peeps who comment on my posts and don't hear back from me? Yeah, that's because I'm a moron. I just realized that I've been replying to noreply[at]blogger[dot]com for, like, months. So, yeah. Whatever your comment was, imagine the most witty, intelligent response I could have sent you...and that's what I sent. I swear! I did not send you naked pictures of myself! (unless you both received, and enjoyed said pictures, in which case: you're welcome.)

And now I'm wondering...stay with me here...do those who log into blogger have real email addresses to reply to, and those who comment as guest users...automatically send the no reply email? Could that explain the discrepancy? Because some of your comments come equipped with actual, real, human email addresses and some come with the no reply address. No me understandy.

Obviously, I'm clueless. And not just on this subject. Ask me about the stock market if you'd like that point to be illustrated.

Another thing I don't quite understand...what's with the "I'm first!!!" comments? Is there some kind of competition that I am unaware of? OMG ARE THERE PRIZES? Someone please tell me if there are prizes, because I will SO jump on that gravy train. These fingers, they are speedy.

There's got to be some kind of motivation because people seem to stalk blogs (not mine, don't be fooled, this only happens on OTHER blogs), see a new post, and rush to say that they're first, even though they're not really first because they also say, "Ok, going to read the post now, BRB". So they stalk the blog, then they pounce to be first commenter, having not read the post at all, then they come back and comment on the post, after which they are no longer first.

Shouldn't the prize be awarded to the stalker who both reads the post and then comments first? Yes, I think I should head up some kind of Ethics in Commenting committee. We could meet once a year and eat Skittles. Open bar, of course. OOH! There could be MEMOS!

I guess I just don't understand. Is it like being the first to use a new roll of toilet paper? Because that sort of sucks, what with the whole glued down section you must grapple with. How about being first to try my home made stir fry? Because that guy died. Hmm. Maybe it's like being the first to walk on the moon? No, can't be due to the available gravity and oxygen and stuff.

Well, whatever. I'm going to start leaving the "I'm first" comments regardless of how many have beaten me. Just to see if anyone notices. I might confuse the blogger, causing them to send me the Grand Prize by mistake, in which case I'll have beaten the system.

Wait, would that disqualify me from chairing the Ethics in Commenting committee? Shit!

18 comments:

  1. Well…it’s good to be First. Just like Menarche or the Hymen Breaker. Yep. All the Big ones.

    Truth be told…I don’t care about being first….I just wanted to see the naked pictures.

    Now….I’ll just go and read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hymen Breaker? Niiiiice.

    ...

    Now I forgot what I was gonna say!

    Oh yeah.

    Dude. Skittles AND an open bar?

    I am so there! As for your other question, about the emails? I have no clue. None. Because I am not a famous blogger like you. =] I haven't even posted much because technology has not been my friend lately. There was the whole death of my laptop, and then what shall be known as the "work clusterfuck, Part eleventy." Or something.

    Sorry I am writing a novel here, but you know what else I hate in comments? People who comment on popular blogs, and then put their blogs address in the comment. PEOPLE. If I want to read your blog, I will click on your name!

    The world is full of attention whores...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The comments thing is a puzzler to me too. I usually just add my own comment to my own post and hope that whoever posted a comment that required a reply is interested enough to return to the post to see if there is a followup.

    This seems very inefficient as I read lots of blogs and then try to remember who it was I made a comment on and if they too were overwhelmed by my wit and commented on their blog about my comment.

    I didn't really think too much about comments on my own blog as I was just floored that anyone other than those I pay, er, ask to read it, do read it. That someone other than my daughter and my best friend read my blog I find amazing. It kind of puts pressure on having blog etiquette as you don't want to be a blog snob and not come across as appreciating those who visit.

    So is there blog etiquette 101 or blog protocol that we may not be rude bloggers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get the FIRST thing either but I do it since it seems to piss people off if I beat them. I like pissing people off. And yes, first should be to the first to read and actually comment but we're all a bunch of impatient toddlers around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't care if I'm first to comment. I want to be the one that rambles on the longest. It's because I truly believe that everything I have to write/say is so interesting that people are riveted to read more and more of my drivel. I am my most biggest fan. I go back and reread my own posts just to bask in my own wit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dammit, I wanted to be the first to comment. j/k
    Seriously, I am still figuring out the "blogger" thing. If I can type one blog without destroying grammer or repeating the same sentence multiple times, do I get an award?
    And am I supposed to reply to comments? WTF, this is all so complicated.
    Skittles, open bar, memos... I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just as clueless as you are about the noreply business.
    I only know my email address is valid.

    The end. :op

    Wow, I wasn't even close to first.
    Not that I care.. but thought I should mention it since the topic was brought up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, had a thought after I commented.
    I think this is funny and worthy of me commenting a second time today.

    Sometimes I go read blog posts..
    then comment..

    later.. I see other comments and they are not commenting on anything similar to what I thought I read.
    So.. I go re-read.. and guess what!
    I misread the posting originally so my comment was way off target.

    THAT is so embarassing! ha ha ha.

    I think I'd save face if I just didn't read the post and commented by saying "I was first!" ha ha ah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I know why.
    When I comment there is a box to check that says "Email follow-up comments to katiekatie@mchsi.com"

    I never checked it before.
    I'll check it now.
    Then try replying to me and see if
    it says "no reply" thingy or what? ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just respond to comments by posting another comment myself. THat way everyone can see the response, and it's more like a communal thing. Unless yours does that and I'm just clueless on this comment ethics stuff. If you form a committee, I still want to be on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last!! And I did read your post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. FIRSTY!

    I call "FIRST" at about everything. It's almost like calling "SHOTGUN!" first on a 3-hour long road trip. There's a certain amount of accomplishment when that happens. So I say it all the time. If I'm first to open the peanut butter and get that first good scoop with my knife, I yell, "FIRST!" Same with a brand new roll of scotch tape.
    I cut off that green flap with the serated plastic thing and yell, "First!"

    oh yeah, I'm first. what did I win?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always though first was just the biggest ween prize. I always strive for it.

    Some people choose not to have their email published with their comment. It makes no sense to me since it's usually on their blog anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suzie stole my (your) comment. I vote the prize should be some sort of blog award that goes on the page of the person. That way, no one will care except the person who won it in the first place. Kind of like the being first thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am first! Just kidding, i think last!

    You know who...your blog stalker!

    ReplyDelete
  16. SEVENTEETH! You know, I totally ripped off the "First" thing from Chris Wood's blog. It was going on over there and it looked like fun. I'm not taking credit for it everywhere else, because I think it lives everywhere. But perhaps we should start a new trend. How about shouting something else. Like, maybe WILDLY INAPPROPRIATE COMMENT when you're about to make a crass suggestion in a person's comments. I don't think it has quite the same ring, but it's something.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, and since I rambled on and on about the FIRST thing, I forgot what I actually wanted to say before. I'm guilty too about replying to the non-reply thing. Although I'm horrible at replying to comments anyway, I tried to respond to that address and I'm pretty sure I confused a bunch of people because they were missing half of my conversation with them.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.