Monday, December 29, 2008

Mine Are Chipping Already

I have several, completely unrelated and questionably interesting topics to cover today. It's like my Monday mash-up or something. Happy Monday, by the way. And by "happy", I mean "what choice do we have"? Mondays after holidays = c'est terrible. I only worked three days last week, and now I'm back for a full five. Total shock to my system. No, I get no time off for the New Year holiday, unfortunately. That makes me the designated driver on Wednesday night, and we all know how fun that normally is. But with my new camera in tow, it might make for a highly productive photographic endeavor.

Gray won his fantasy football Super Bowl last night. I really don't understand how the whole thing works, because the fantasy teams have all these random players (who aren't randomly chosen, from what I hear) from lots of different teams, and somehow this web site tracks how each player performs in each game, then adds up all the points for each make-believe team...it really baffles my mind that anyone gives enough of a shit to do this. But people seem to love them some fantasy football. So YAY for Gray and his totally pretend team! He's getting lots of flack because he also managed his league, so since he won the pretend Super Bowl, it must mean he cheated in some way. But figuring out how to cheat at an activity that requires compiling so many different statistics every week...well then I'd say he deserves to win even if he DID cheat.

I asked him if this means I get my Super Bowl ring now, and he assured me I would indeed be getting a ring this year. So YAY for ME for Gray and his totally pretend team! (Incidentally, which finger does a Super Bowl ring go on, and can I get mine sized to a 4.5?)*

I had a dream last night that kind of freaked me out. I was with Gray and his mom, and we were at church, and they were trying to get us to become church members. It wasn't just any church, we were at a Super Church. You know, the monolithic establishments with parking lots bigger than you find at the airport? The kind that have televised services? Yeah, one of those Super Churches. And in no way should "super" be interpreted as "pretty neat".

I was sitting in the front row, and during the sermon, the minister (i.e. Send Me Your Money guy) locked eyes with me, then proceeded to "lay his hands on my head", which (if you grew up like I did, you've had this done countless times) entailed his clapping one hand over each of my temples, and speaking in tongues. I don't remember if he was praying for the holy spirit to fill me or what, but I was bound and determined not to let this guy think he was having any effect on me (most people fall down in a kind of "swoon" or begin weeping or dancing or some other embarrassing activity). So I stared him down. So he tried again. And I kept staring. Eventually, bewildered, he turned away with some comment about me being filled with the devil. Now, had this been real life instead of a dream, such a statement would have elicited a flurry of hand-laying and tongue-speaking and demon-casting. Instead, we flashed forward to after the sermon.

We were in the giant basement, which was really a huge store like Bed Bath & Beyond. Each new recruit got a certain number of "points" for attending the first service, and we used those "points" to "purchase" household goods from their basement store. Two women accompanied us around the store and helped us make our selections (me, a red and tan striped shower curtain and a new duvet). Gray and I were split up from his mother, and we met back up at the cash registers.

His mother was PISSED because they had only given her half the points we were given (we got more for arriving together as a couple, apparently) and the only thing she could purchase was a small white stool. She was going on and on about how she already HAD a small white stool in her living room, and now where was she going to put this one? We tried to calm her down as we strapped our new stuff onto our scooter (??) and took off for home (which happened to be Bentonville, Arkansas). Then I woke up.

Anyone want to take a shot at interpreting that dream? I'm not sure I want to know.

Finally, I went and got a mani-pedi on the Sunday before Christmas with the last of my holiday money from family. It was heaven (kind of) as I hadn't had it done since August (literally), but as always, I was a bit uncomfortable. This video will help explain why that was and oh my god is this woman funny.


This time, I was being interrogated about why I no like having my eyebrows waxed. And then my manicurist and the woman beside her proceeded to have that exact same conversation from the video. They were snippy with me until I tipped her (which comes before the nail polish), at which point they decided that whether I waxed my eyebrows or not, I was a damned good tipper and they'd better be nice so I come back and over-tip them again.

*Like how I threw that in here so that if he's paying attention he won't have to come up with a clever way to ask me that particular bit of information? I'm subtle like that.

19 comments:

  1. Well...I didn't realize that you hated Asian people.
    And...if I were you, I'd push for a decoder ring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude....Nice ring size drop. I wrote mine on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the HELL did you have for dinner?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might the superbowl ring look something like this?

    http://www.ritani.com/products/view/470/in_collection/3

    (this is my daughter's ring, ain't it purty?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could totally decode it for you but I won't. You need to start paying the dream doctor for all her services. Or at least shoot me a text!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HELLO! My name is Bobby G! I have a blog and got yours off of Bobbies blog list. Mine is bobbygbitches.blogspot.com, I notice you like to leave comments lol, ME TOO! so i figured id look you up and get a few laughs outta the deal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. C.S.Perry: No worries, baby Jesus hates Asian people, too. I want a little orphan Annie decoder Super Bowl ring.

    Kel: Very subtle, us two. Seems to have worked out for you!

    Diane: Um, spaghetti. And beer. Think maybe my dream means I should stop drinking on a work night?

    Chris: That is a beautiful ring! Much better than any Super Bowl ring I've ever seen.

    Michelle: That's true, you've been telling me things I don't want to hear for years now. It's about time I started paying you!

    Bobby G: Nice to meet you! Let's cut back on the football talk, m'k?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a really weird dream, but hey, aren't most of them? I dreamt about a conversation with Obama last night, and he KNEW MY NAME, so I figure that's a good sign.
    And super subtle on the ring size thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a creepy dream. Although I would totally be a new recruit long enough to get some new towels, since my husband thinks the towels we have had for two fucking decades are just fine. Never mind that they are ORANGE. And that they were originally his mom's, so they are extra yucky...

    I played fantasy Survivor once. I got twelve points and came in 8947th.

    www.verilux.com sells the happy lights. Mine is a Verilux Happy Light and we got it at a local lighting store for about $60 less than from the website, which is amazing because everything in Alaska costs more. Gas is still $2.39 a gallon, even though Alaska produces oil. Explain that one to me. (Sorry. I am cranky about Alaska and their stupid oil and gas.) Verilux even makes an alarm clock with a built in happy light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK so No football posts, but fantasy football posts are cool? Just feelin ya out Cat, seein whats good! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. J: Yeah, most of mine are incredibly bizarre. Oh, no - Obama totally knows you, he was talking about you over coffee the other day.

    Julie: My ex never let me buy towels either! And we had towels from HIS mother which started out tan and turned orange! FREAKY! Thanks for the happy light tip, I'm going to have to look into that.

    Bobby G: I'm all about double standards here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH PS the Lions dont officially count as football, I checked it out...

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you walk into a church, does your skin get warm and sizzle a little bit like bacon, or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man, if I got points for going to church, and could get free shit, I might actually go...OK, no I wouldn't. I could interpret your dream, but I dont think you want it posted here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to Gray for the fantasy win. I'm still bitter about my season - good thing there is next year! Ha.

    That was the PERFECT ring drop. I look for those situations. Just. In. Case!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, what a great video clip - that's hilarious!

    The first (and last) time I went for a bikini wax in MN the woman must have read my appointment note wrong and she sat me down in the eyebrow wax chair and asked what kind of shaping I like. I was so confused. I just sort of motioned to my bikini area and was like, "I think you think I'm here for something different than I think I'm here for...?" Then she made a (loud) ordeal about the fact that there had been a scheduling mistake (because I wanted everyone to know I was there for my bikini area). She brought me to a room in the back and when I told her I usually do a full wax she said that's not a Midwestern thing. She said, "Like when you get on all fours and all that? I don't do that type of wax." Ahhh. Okay. I've never gotten on all fours at a wax appointment but whatever - I was appropriately ashamed of my east coast bikini brazenness. Apparently a full wax here is tantamount to being a whore. Then she proceeded to do the type of wax she was "more comfortable with" and putting me through excruciating pain with her ineptitude. It was like she'd never done ANY type before. I was so horrified I never went back there, or any other place in good ol' Champlin for that matter. I think in Minneapolis I could get a good bikini wax, but who wants to have to go that far?

    Anyway, my point is, I've been scarred. I'll be shaving for life now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bobby G: So far as I'm concerned, football could be improved by adding, oh I don't know, ANYTHING that isn't actually football, and you know, eliminating the football parts of the game.

    Cameron: Ah, see I don't know about that. I don't walk into churches anymore.

    Krista: Yeah, I might be tempted for a new duvet, but it would have to be goose down - not duck down, those fuckers are 2nd rate. And do you really think I could be embarrassed by anything you might have to say about my dream? The girl who admitted to farting in her sleep?

    Laurwilk: You're obviously a sick woman. But thanks, I thought so too.

    Elle Charlie: I am absolutely speechless. I would have DIED. No, I probably would have killed the lady. Try Spalon Montage - it's EXPENSIVE but they are fucking awesome at everything they do there. (or I'll totally come wax you for free if I can bring my camera...)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kat's dream interpretation: QUIT EATING FISH BEFORE BED!

    That video? Too fuckin' funny. OMG. And if you just say, "No..no $8 minty exfoliating lotion, no $4 airbrushing, no hot wax, no sparkly flowers on my toes, thanks, just the polish." You're in for a volley of shit-talking that you can't even understand, and right in front of your face, too! Not to sound totally bigoted... at all... dang, but that's just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I forgot all about this video, ANjela Johnson is hilarious, this clip is classic! Thanks for posting I got a great chuckle this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.