Thursday, January 29, 2009

Maybe He's Busy Watching The Food Network Like Me

My mom sent me a text message this morning, reminding me to "Save The Date". She's graduating in June with her bachelor's degree in Bible and Theology, and wants me to attend the ceremony in Des Moines. Can you feel my excitement level skyrocket? No? That's because it didn't skyrocket, it actually dipped down below the "practically no pulse at all" level instead.

After graduation, she plans to get a "license to minister". Which...huh? I thought anybody could just...open a church and start stealing from people. Is that not how it works? Is there some kind of government regulation for curch leadership that I'm not aware of? And if so, how do they pay for the government oversight? Not with church taxes, I know that for damn sure.

Then my mom started texting about the big ice storm they had down in Arkansas this week, how it's the worst one she's seen in the 20 years she's been living there, and how they're on the third day of cancelled school (for my brother) and cancelled work (for her). She hasn't been able to accomplish anything because the power is out. Still. Even though the storm happened a couple days ago. She told me that she's praying for the electricity to come back on so they don't lose all the perishable food and so that they can take showers and flush the toilet again.

Now...see, here's where my brain takes a violent detour from any path that might promote a belief in a higher power. Because of things like this, I'm totally unable to suspend my disbelief in the supernatural for even just one minute.

Hey, mom? Don't you think maybe it would have made more sense to pray for better weather, like, three days ago? You know, since god is in charge of all that stuff (hence the comment you made about how global warming is phooey), couldn't he sort of prevent the giant, nation-wide ice storm from starting in the first place? Might he have taken it upon himself to prevent all those people from dying in car crashes and freezing to death because of the storm?

Don't you think that praying for the electricity to come back on is sort of MISSING THE BOAT so far as prayers go? I mean, god didn't give a fuck about your perishable food two days ago when he sent 3 inches of frozen death your way. What makes you think he gives a flying fuck about it today?

Also, if it turns out that I'm wrong and god is totally real and listening to you, and your prayers are answered after all, perhaps you should submit some sort of pre-prayer; a Blanket Prayer Request, if you will, that covers all future calamity and misfortune. God might need a heads up that next week you'd prefer not to lose your best friend to domestic violence or that in another 6 months, you'd really rather not lose one of your students to leukemia.

It's really only fair. God's no fucking mind reader. Wait...

24 comments:

  1. LMFAO! Nice cat, thank god my mom isn't like that, her religon stopped basically when mine did lol. However Mom doesnt text msg, which i wish she did...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I thought anybody could just...open a church and start stealing from people. "

    LMAO!

    Great post Cat. Totally with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in God, cept I call him 'Jimmie', and in my version he's just a big punk alien kid and we're just an ant farm on the night stand next to Jimmie's bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ::shaking my head::
    If you ever make fun of my beliefs on this blog I will pray to God that an infestation of crotch lice infects your girly parts and you are too poor to get the prescription filled and no one will sell you a razor.
    It will happen and you will be sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe your mom should be texting god? My daughter has him/her on her contact list on her cell phone. She also has Santa Claus and Joe Jonas. And someone named, "mexican dude who calls wrong number alot"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe in God.

    It's hard for me to understand someone who doesn't. Not cricizing, just sayin'.

    But I've had some major shit that I feel He got me through. So it's hard for me to imagine my life without Him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If he was truly kick-ass, he could go back in time and fix the storm regardless of when the prayer was sent. Omnipotent my ass.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is definitely not a topic I can comment on in this little blogger comment box. I'll just put it this way.

    I agree with you, and I don't. But no matter what, I think you are one funny bizzatch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, you're going to be the minister's daughter. And you say "fuck" a lot. I love it! Don't get me started on religion...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have another idea regarding the perishables in the fridge....
    I'm assuming that it's cold enough for some of the perishables OUTSIDE, so, Ummm, maybe it would be a good idea to put them there?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think... God allows things like ice storms to happen so that thousands of people remember to phone home once in a while. They only find there knees when there is a problem.

    On the lighter side, you know what they say about the minister's daughter... Wow are you going to have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I agree 100% but if we are wrong then I’ll see you in hell and buy you a beer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. p.s. DesMoines is about 3 - 3 1/2 hour drive from where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everybody's dying. You better get God.

    I don't believe in God but I'm afraid not to capitalize the name of God lest God smite me as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're fucking hilarious. I love that you write so openly. Looking forward to following you around this cloud

    ReplyDelete
  16. I share your non-beliefs on religion. I know they say "God works in mysterious ways" and all that happy horseshit, but frankly, careful observation shows that God doesn't work at all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Cat,

    Your blog is pretty funny. I knew about the ice storm, because I know everything, but honestly, I don't care. I've taken the last two millenia off and I don't think I'm coming back. You people piss me off.

    Good luck,
    God

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cat: I'm pretty sure you know how I feel about, you know, Him, and I do get your vibe. That was pretty 'effin funny.

    But, seriously, your Mom's going to be a minister? *giggle* That is truly a cosmic funny...

    Peace,
    IG

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL! Cat you made me laugh out loud. "I mean, god didn't give a fuck about your perishable food two days ago when he sent 3 inches of frozen death your way. " hahaha

    I wish I could carry you around in my pocket so when something annoying happens, I could pull you out like a little Damnit Doll and we can have a bitch fest.

    I dig it. I feel the same way. Not that you were asking for my input or anything, but I often wonder why people say "Thank God she's alive!" when something bad happens and people end up okay. But you would never hear anyone say "Thank God my mother died." or "Thank God that pylon fell on someone's head yesterday." Fair weather followers, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I stumbled upon your site, and all I can say is thank you for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL! You had me laughing too, but you often do. :P

    Oh, P.S. - Tag you're it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was thinking the same thing as Gray's lurker friend. But on the other hand, if God really loves her, he'll show her The Way. Which means probably moving to SoCal where there is no such thing as an ice storm.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.