Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Diamonds On the Soles of Her Poo (sha na na na na)

When does one officially earn the title of "miser"?

I've got to be closing in on it any day now. After rounding "cheap bastard", I intend to slide into "penny pinching fool" any moment now. Here's my February spend:
  • $3 on quarters for laundry
  • $3 wasted in the vending machine trying to get quarters for laundry (aka Sun Chips, Coke, and one serving of air)
  • $25.09 at the grocery store (didn't know you could leave there for less than a hundred bucks. Huh. Learn something every day.)
  • $29.89 at the gas station (on gas, not on Hustler and sour Skittles. That was hard for me.)
  • $3.88 at Walgreen's (Gray says he's going to pay me back for the lube...er...Mountain Dew)
  • $4.26 at the Red Box for two Valentine's Day movies (Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist: loved it, but what is with the PUKE in all the movies these days?)(Nights at Rodanthe: Eh, I love you Diane Lane, but this was no Under the Tuscan Sun, KWIM?)
  • $20 in quarters for laundry

So that's less than $100 more than half way into the month - not too shabby in my humble opinion. The only thing on this list of "expenditures" (another word that sounds awesome but really isn't) that we didn't totally "need" was the Red Box movie rental. Fuck it. I didn't get Gray a card for Valentine's Day, so it all evened out.

This is such a drastic change from my spending in January that I'm getting all these frantic emails from my budget website saying, "Unusual Spending Activity", and "You Are $500 Below the Average U.S. Household, Are You Sure We Don't Need to Send Over the Coroner?"

So far, this spending moratorium has been a piece of cake - THANK YOU DEPRESSION - because I haven't wanted to leave the house for any reason, including to stimulate the economy. I got both my state and federal tax refunds, and I got my student loan disbursement as well. So now that I don't need money to cover bouncing checks, I've got some padding in my bank accounts. Doesn't that just fucking figure? I'm just waiting for everything to clear the bank before I go and pay down some credit cards. They'll probably send over the FBI to investigate that shit.

Speaking of credit cards, I cashed in my few remaining rewards points and ordered a $5 gift card to Panera Bread, which I stopped to use last night on my way to class because I was about ::this:: close to chewing on my own arm, and I'm not even all that into cannibalism these days. All I wanted was a nice, hot cup of soup. Potato soup. Mmmmmm. Great, now my panties are wet.

Did you people know that Panera Bread sells magical, golden soup? I got 12 ounces of potato and water for $4.89. FOUR FUCKING EIGHTY-NINE! I had the gift card for $5, so it worked out perfectly, but I just couldn't believe I was spending five dollars on a bowl of soup. There was bacon in there, and believe me! I understand the value of the pork product. But I've got a package of bacon at home - an entire package! - that cost less than that one bowl of soup with the three crumbs of bacon in it. WE ARE IN A RECESSION PANERA! People don't have magical soup money just laying around anymore.

I went to Panera's website this morning to try and find evidence of this ludicrous price point, but the menu? HAS NO PRICES ON IT. You know how when you go to the fancy restaurant for a special occasion and you kind of hope someone else foots the bill because you've got $13 in your wallet but the menu has no prices listed next to anything so you know they're going to charge you a thousand dollars for that pat of butter? Because only people who have black AMEX cards don't want to know how much shit costs? Because if there are no prices on the menu, you just drink water so you don't have to worry about losing your house?

That's what Panera Bread is like, except instead of fine china and crystal, they give you plastic spoons and and make you come get your own food when it's ready. $4.89 for a bowl of fucking soup. I'm still thinking I may shit out a few diamonds so this all makes sense.

21 comments:

  1. But potato soup is good. Really good. $3 ob laundry is amazing we spend $12 a week on it and it SUCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I totally want a bread bowl of broccoli cheddar from Panera. Damn. Good for you for being cheap, I need to work on it since I'm a spending fool. Not really but fast food purchases are what get me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I totally want a bread bowl of broccoli cheddar from Panera. Damn. Good for you for being cheap, I need to work on it since I'm a spending fool. Not really but fast food purchases are what get me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the not spending thing. I'm jealous. I'm notorious for walking into the grocery store, buying only the sale item then walking out. Spending totals are sometimes only 2 or 3 bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh God I love Panera bread and their stupid broc cheese soup...I always get the combo, 1/2 samich and bowl of soup. I haven't been in a while. It's cool I get a piece of french bread with it too. You're right though...soup alone for that much is expensive. But damnit it's good.

    Oh yeah by the way...I had a dream about you last night. I forget what happened now but it wasn't sexual or anything LOL

    I think I was meeting you in person for the first time or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HaHa! Magical Golden Soup...

    Looks like you are doing great on the frugal point....

    And yes... you deserved the movies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing worse that overpriced potoato soup. But what is nice is when MHP used to work there and come home with free sandwiches and soup all the time. Niiiiice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But it is good soup.

    I liked Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist except for the disgusting piece of gum. Ick. I refuse to watch Nights in Rodanthe just on principle alone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And NEVER go to a salon that doesn't have prices. Those bitches will nail you for a pedicure.

    Because obviously you put some money aside for such necessities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No website has food prices because some of them are franchises and the prices will be different!

    ReplyDelete
  11. $5 for soup? They can keep that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. GIve me your address, I am sending you 20 dollars. I mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The book Nights in Rodanthe was fabulous. I could definitely read it again. We rented the movie this weekend. I told Shawn repeatedly that it was nothing like the book. I just can't understand how they can take a perfectly good book and fuck it up so bad. The only thing recognizable between the two was the inn and the name of the main characters. They even shorted her a fucking kid in the movie. Man it blew.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, when you are feeling low, or cold, or just hungry, that $5 bowl of soup fixes you just right. When you get the combo, the bowl of soup is smaller, though.

    And if you are there like right before they close, they give you all kinds of bread stuff they are just tossing anyway. Good to know when you are living on othe cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I went to a restaurant in Florida with no menus. The waiter just told you what the chef made. It was EXPENSIVE… And to answer the obvious question, no diamonds there either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooo, I used to love Troop Beverly Hills too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like being cheap too. Love the dollar store. But yesterday? I decided I would go nuts and buy whatever I wanted at the grocery store. It was awesome! And? I wore a bra! Shhh, don't tell anyone. Don't want to ruin my reputation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That soup better blow you for costing that fucking much. Bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I went to Panera bread once - like 10 years ago.

    spent just WAY TOO MUCH on a bowl of soup, that was ass tasting.

    Never went back.
    Never will.

    I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you at least have the soup resting in a bread bowl? There might be a smidge more value because you don't have to give the bowl back. Then of course it provides more material for poopy which gives an additional opportunity to create those diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
  21. dang- perhaps that pig ate diamonds with its feed- that's why the bacon hiked up the price! crazy! (bet it was yummy though!)

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.