Monday, February 16, 2009

Interloper

There's this thing that thinks behind my thoughts. On those days when the earth shivers violently and the atmosphere is the sharpened black of pencil lead, the thing awakens. It slides out from between the gray folds of its cave, and it settles itself behind my eyes. In the blackness of midnight, it cuts a slit in the back of each orb and then uses a straw to suck the color from the world, one drop at a time, out from the back. Then it closes the slits over with despair like plumbers putty. Sometimes this patchwork leaks, and I awake to a pillow full of anguish. When my hands crack and my blood floods the mesas and gorges of my desert skin, the thing slides into these rivers of dust and delights in lost tubes of cortisone. It twines its tentacles into the meat of my shoulders, and twists them around until they are taught and I feel the tension in my tired eyes. Loved ones eyes scan my possessed frame and they ask me how I'm feeling, suspicion permeates their concern. Then the thing tugs again, and my shoulders mimic a shrug. I can't cry out for help, because the thing is my tongue and it flaps in the sharp wind. Nothing can kill the thing, but when the earth ceases to shiver and the sky drips sludge and heat, then I'll feel its parasitic hold peel back. Slowly, one tentacle at a time will let go of my muscles and retreat to the cave with its black thoughts. When the robins return, the color comes with them, brown at first and broken, then green with the bulbs, and finally blue like an angel. When again I see blue, I'll know the thing sleeps soundly, and so will I. My pillow will harden and dry. I'll think about running away before winter, but in the haze of blue and the smell of nectar, I'll forget until it's too late.

14 comments:

  1. Nice. You're getting at something this time and I like it.

    You realize...this sort of thing never happens when you live on the Right Side of the Mason/Dixon Line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this feeling all too well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it's not just me.

    Happy Ominous Monday to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solution: Increase chocolate intake by 20%. Couldn’t hurt… and I’m still hoping Gray hid that peeler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that you wrote to me that you don't know why people read your stuff. THIS is why :-).
    I want to write I feel catharized reading this, but I wrote that once before to a blogger & he thought I meant catherized, & it started a whole big misunderstanding....where was I? Anyway your truths don't pass undetected. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring has been teasing us this year. Fortunately, in the deep South, we still have warm days in the winter.

    You've beautifully explained why I'll never live where it snows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why a vacation someplace hot and sunny is absolutely NECESSARY during these months. The post-holiday horribles tend to take over in dark and wintry climes. You might also try a full-spectrum light box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a "color sucker" too. SUCKS!

    That was an amazing description. Next time I am hosting my "sucker", I will tell my loved ones to read this post so they understand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Winter is evil. I've been trying to tell people this for years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are a very talented writer, so visceral, of course it is more than just the weather.. very courageous of you to be so intimate with your inner world

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Frank's solution... eat more chocolate.

    It's hard to be cheery in the dead of winter... everything is just so gloomy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice. real nice. That was what I was going to post tomorrow.

    Sheesh. Now what do I do?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, this is why people read your stuff Cat...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really liked this one. Your tentacled creature was creepy and I want to kill it.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.