Wednesday, March 04, 2009

In Need of Medication

I'm reading Kate Chopin's The Awakening for my Women Writers lit class. I remember having read this story before, but not the circumstances surrounding that endeavor - it must have been for one of my lit classes when I was in school before, since I'm not exactly known for picking up classics when I'm reading for pleasure. I prefer Stephen King because, well, I'm a sick freak.

Anyhow, I'm a little disturbed by Edna Pontellier this time around. I feel like Chopin's words are giving voice to all of the crazy shit I've been feeling (but not exactly naming) for a few months now. For example, in chapter XIX, Chopin writes:

There were days when she was very happy without knowing why. She was happy to be alive and breathing, when her whole being seemed to be one with the sunlight, the color, the odors, the luxuriant warmth of some perfect Southern day. She liked then to wander alone into strange and unfamiliar places. She discovered many a sunny, sleepy corner, fashioned to dream in. And she found it good to dream and to be alone and unmolested.


There were days when she was unhappy, she did not know why,--when it did not seem worth while to be glad or sorry, to be alive or dead; when life appeared to her like a grotesque pandemonium and humanity like worms struggling blindly toward inevitable annihilation. She could not work on such a day, nor weave fancies to stir her pulses and warm her blood.


There are some days - or, more accurately, there are portions of days - when I'm nearly bursting with happy feelings. But mostly? I'm just unhappy as fuck and don't know what to do about it. My life is an endless procession of work, chores, bills, bad dreams, alarm clocks, work, chores, bills, bad dreams, alarm clocks, work... It never ends, and it never seems to be moving in a forward direction, like I'm just treading water for eternity. Or backpedaling.

Lately, it just seems to fucking POINTLESS. What is the POINT of going to the track? I'm just going to have to do it all over again tomorrow - add that to the List of Shit that Makes Adulthood Unbearable. What is the POINT of going to school? I have no career in mind, no future employment mapped out for the use of my degree. And even if I DID, it's just another fucking job that I'm going to end up hating just as much as every other job I've ever had that I grew to hate because it was POINTLESS.

My family? They're in Arkansas, California, Alaska - they all have their own pointless shit to keep them busy. I love them, but I wouldn't say that any of them give meaning to my life, and if they did, that would be even more depressing because I see them on an average of once every 5 years. What is the POINT of doing laundry? I'm just going to have to do it again next week. Same with the damn toilet, same with the floors, same with putting gas in my car, brushing my teeth, peeing OHMYGOD THE TIME SPENT PEEING, and on and on and on.

Sometimes I'm jealous of people who have faith in some kind of spiritual power, but I don't. And I can't. You could cut my arm off with a chainsaw, and then I could witness it miraculously float up in a cloud of golden sunbeams and fuse back onto my shredded stump of a shoulder, and all the scars could melt away before my very eyes as a giant voice said from the sky, "BE HEALED MY CHILD", and I would still think to myself, "Huh, that's a really weird coincidence - what are the odds of that happening, like...1 in 5,000 at least! I gotta go buy a fucking Powerball ticket!"

Even if I did believe in god, I don't know that happiness in the NEXT life would be sufficient motivation to start thinking THIS life was a hell of a lot more enjoyable than it actually is. I'm part of a generation who values instant gratification. Afterlife is not fucking fast enough for me, sorry. Plus, I'd have a hard time getting over the hurdle that it's all just one big mind fuck, engineered to entertain god for a few millennia.


Because really? He choices were kind of endless, but he opted to Jesus to die on the cross, and then left it up to our dumb asses to tell other people about it. He let us decide with our brains (which he kind of CREATED) whether or not to believe that bullshit. He could have just, you know, gotten rid of sin (I call that "dealing with the root of the problem"), or quit letting the devil dick around with our heads. Screw Eve, everyone knows she was a stupid fruit whore. No, instead he likes to watch us squirm and fret and confess and develop complexes and molest children instead of come to terms with your sexuality and start wars because you don't believe what I believe.

What is the POINT of going through all the bullshit of life when we're just going to die? And why the FUCK couldn't I have been a DOG?! I'm just so tired. TIRED. Dogs get to sleep a lot, and it's really unfair. I'd like to see them have to renew their license tabs once in a while, know what I'm saying?


Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to convey is, it's a good thing that unlike Edna Pontellier, I don't live near the ocean.

21 comments:

  1. Unfortunately none of my meds make me feel better, in fact one makes my joints ache more. So I won't be sending drugs. Maybe we could just beat you with the happy stick. (read whatever meaning you want into "stick")

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need Vodka. Now.

    Or....

    Take some time to figure out what you really want in life. Sounds like you're a little depressed. There are jobs out there that can make you happy. Let me know when you find one so I can jump ship on this shiteous career path I've chosen....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bit of your sick freak attraction to horror writing.

    There are meds that make you FEEL LESS or make some FEEL MORE or oh, it goes on, & on, but I don't think things, jobs, a certain life, a certain medication, really ever makes us feel better until we get past some of the stored up bs, which can be very hard. ~Mary

    ps I am not, however, against medication for many disorders, since I've seen some people off & then on, & many times ON is better for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been there. Maybe not exactly there, but close. I've been to What's the point, Why do anything if you're just going to have to do it again and again, breathing is tedious and what's the point if I'm going to have to do it again in 3 seconds, etc.

    Mary's right, getting past the stored up bs is key in the long run, and takes time, but meds put a temporary blanket over the unhappy. And you sound like you could use a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking meds might be an option to explore. Talking about things with an outsider might also be a good option.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't even know what to say. Not like anything I could say would help.
    So, my question to you is.....
    (purely related to the post and not anything else I know about you)
    What makes you so much bigger and smarter than the people who believe in something bigger than them?
    A little faith, real faith in something garnder than yourself goes a long way.
    Even if we all find out in the end its a fairy tale, at least its a comforting one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are days I have lived from one diet coke to the next, or from one orgasm to the next. I think they call this depression.

    Now, get the fuck up and get dressed and get in the car and find a professional to prescribe you some drugs. Try them for 30 days, if you don't like the way you feel after 30 days, send me the refills so I can try them too!

    If you don't want to take that advice, I have some more, you might like this better. While you are in this deep dark funk, write a sick novel. You will make millions. Because honestly, it takes a sick mind to write good shit. and you are writing great shit. So forget what I said above, stay in your jammies and sit with your laptop and write, write like the wind girl! Just remember to send me a signed copy when are rich, famous and still fucked up!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, Cat, I can totally relate. It's been a fucking hell of a year, and I don't have any faith in any kind of afterlife either, religion is just empty promises from those in power aimed at keeping the populace in check.
    The only advice I have is to try and find things that make you happy, little things, music sometimes works for me. Some days, I just exist to watch good TV. Or I surf the web endlessly, looking for stuff that makes me laugh. Maybe meds would help. Maybe find something to look forward to. It might sound lame, but meditation and breathing can be helpful. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, I'd send you some X if I had any. That, and a night out dancing always helped.

    ReplyDelete
  10. meds and therapy could probably offer some relief, next to God they are my bibles, and i need them all to get thru some days

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh dear. I am sorry that you feel like this. Sound like you need a change of ... something... scenery, job, hobbey... change of something for sure... something to look forward to-- what do you like doing? other then the obvious wise cracks of course?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's depression, Cat. I have to agree with the whole meds thing, just because it can help you keep the bottom from falling out.

    Also, if I can totally step over the line about the spiritual stuff, I don't buy that you don't believe in God. I think you're angry at God. Probably you have very good reason to be.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with J's first comment. Simple pleasures can make a world of difference. But also meds. I'm not giving up my prozac any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm there now. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe you need to turn that depression into something creative, like anger. So snap the fuck out of it, cupcake.

    (you're welcome)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely recommend getting meds. It doesn't fix everything but it makes the shitty days fewer and farther between. I have been on them for years and I think it is the only thing that has kept me from running away and joining the circus or becoming one of those fat people they have to lift out of their homes in a crane.

    But seriously, if you ever just want someone to talk to? You know where I am, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Similar boat over here, I don't believe in any sort of higher power. It almost seems like things would be way easier if I did but I don't.

    I've been thinking about taking chill pills lately too... something to take the edge off.

    Feel happier. Come play on my swingset.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too many people feel this way. I have such a hard time believing that we are all just imbalanced and need some drugs. Drugs can be cool, don't get me wrong....but I think we are doing something wrong as a society that so many people are this unhappy. I thought about that when I watched Bee Movie. People don't feel connected to each other anymore, have common goals, especially in the workplace....the goal of getting rich seems to be the only one and everyone can not be rich....so there needs to be some other goal.

    "Afterlife is not fucking fast enough for me, sorry." - I LOL at this, I agree. haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. sorry you've been feeling out of sorts- but kudos for attacking your assigned reading! I've always had a tough time attempting books I've 'had' to read. hope you're feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've heard they have medicine for this. Too bad it's illegal.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.