Friday, March 06, 2009

REM

I dreamt I was on a plane.

It was night, full dark, and as we were rolling from the gate to the runway, I noticed out the window what appeared to be a shower of gumballs falling on the city skyline. Someone said it looked like there was a lot of steam, and I said that no, I thought it was bombs. Missiles.

It was. We were under some kind of attack. Hundreds of bombs were falling everywhere, and just as we realized this, the attack reached the airport. Runways exploded into fire. I could see planes backing up because none of them could take off into a sky full of death. Our pilot began driving the plane towards a bridge under the runway, presumably in an attempt to hide from the barrage of missiles.

My purse (the same one I carry now) was on the floor under my feet, and I grabbed it. I wanted to find my phone. I had to text my dad. I was pretty sure the world was coming to an end. I didn't remember that my dad doesn't know how to text. It didn't matter.

The plane reached the bridge, and I could see a double-length city bus ahead of us, also using the overpass as a means of escape. I watched as a missile broke through the concrete ceiling and pierced the bus's skin. It twisted violently, it's two segments rotating away from each other, and then it disappeared inside a massive explosion. I frantically typed, "I love you" and hit send on my phone. Everything under the bridge was fire.

I knew our plane was next. I woke up.

I laid in the dark for nearly an hour, replaying the dream over and over again, torn between relief at having woken and strange desire to return to that place. Who would want to attack our city? Was it happening all over the world?

I thought that I should have selected "send to all" on my text message. But there hadn't been time to think. And I imagined the phone lines were probably all busy anyway, unless I was dying at the very beginning of The End, before the wireless networks had jammed or blown up.

I thought about what I would have done if I'd managed to escape the plane: I'd head out on foot, dodging falling missiles and debris, hiding in shadows along buildings. I'd follow the river home from the airport, traveling only at night to avoid whatever (whoever) was so hell-bent on the destruction of our metropolis.

I mapped out the journey in my head, imagined that it might take as many as three days to get home. I wondered if he would be there, holed up in the apartment, watching for my unlikely return, mourning my assumed demise at the airport?

Would the building even be there?

When finally I slept again, I dreamt I was back in Idaho.

19 comments:

  1. That's scary! And see, I'm horrified of flying as it is. That gave me the chills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured out what the end meant I think. Will text in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this post. It's compelling read and very well written.

    IB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dreamt I went to Walmart and there were young kids there with guns shooting people randomnly.

    Was never so glad to wake up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dreams like that are so messed up. Thankfully, last night I had sex dreams. Much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think dreams are really interesting to sit and analyze, and I think how you talk about your dream means as much as the content. What struck me here was your specific use of the phrase, "Everything under the bridge was fire." You know the phrase, "water under the bridge"?

    It's clearly not water under the bridge for you at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrible dream!
    I keep dreaming that there is a huge earthquake, and waking up screaming. Not fun.
    Nightmares suck.
    As a kid, I always thought I would grow out of nightmares as an adult. Clearly not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like the opening scene of a sci-fi movie! I LOVE the average-person-in-extraordinary-circumstances scenario, so much more interesting than Will Smith just kicking ass on everything in sight. And the mystery is cool too; is it an alien attack? an unfriendly nation? or maybe a massive asteroid shower. Glad you woke up okay, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheesh, that's a freaky dream. I'm surprised you were even able to get back to sleep after that. Those are the nights when I catch up on my reader at 3AM since I can's sleep..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am I the only one who thinks that freaky dreams are good once in a while! To me I like to think (even when I don't know what it means!) that my brain is doing something interesting when I'm asleep, even if it does scare the c**p out of me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'm one of the few people that LIKES the post-apocalyptic dreams. I especially like the ones where everybody's already gone and I don't have to make small talk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great dream! Well, ok, not so much for you, but to entertain the rest of us? Great dream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow- that was a well written dream for sure...but scary bigtime. I usually can't remember so much detail once I've been scared awake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Presumably it was your own private Idaho...

    Scary good, Cat. Scary good. And it went well with my morning tea. Salute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Without being all psychobabble-ish, this means a couple things (I have a tendency to analyze all my friends' dreams, and they're usually correct, so for what it's worth...):

    The plane imagery (or anything like driving) usually means you feel like you're going somewhere but not of your own volition. You're dealing with it in a calm way, but are scared of the outcome, since you'd normally like to be in control of things. You're not sure if this next phase in your life is going to be hard to get through but you're willing to go through it, with teeth clenched.

    The reason that this is a relatively positive dream is because you have all your familiar things around you- your bag, your phone, your loved ones a text away.. I venture to guess that you were wearing an item of clothing that you like, that was familiar to you (if you can remember that kind of detail). You've surrounded yourself with familiar things on this trip, which is a good sign. It means you're preparing yourself.

    Were you sitting next to someone? I also venture to guess that the answer to this would be no, or that you don't remember. I'm thinking that you were on your own because this is something really personal that you have to get through, and only you can get through it. You're about to go through a very hard bit, but it won't last long because you're prepared to fight through to the other side.

    Hope this isn't too weird, I've just found that this helps people I know, when I describe what it all means...

    xx

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.