Wednesday, April 08, 2009

mental masterbation

well, gray is laying on the couch where he's been since monday night, slowly dying from what the minute clinic nurse described as a "very nasty virus" (you know, as opposed to the amiable, cuddly ones), and now the future of our weekend retreat is in jeopardy. the strep test was negative, so there's nothing for him to do except drip snot (CHECK!) and look pitiful (CHECK!). once again, the minute clinic was a fifteen minute trip with nothing but a co-pay, and the nurse was a rock star, and we left with tissues, mucinex, and a thank you card for our host and hostess - just my little way of forcing the universe (and the death virus) to see that we MUST! GO! ON VACATION! and that prolonged illness will not be tolerated.

but the truth is, if he's not 92% better by friday morning, then i might be forced to call up wisconsin and tell them we can't make it because we'd be dragging our infirmity with us, and that's no way to repay your hosts. ok, make that 85% better. i'm hoping i don't get sick two days behind him and cause the cancellation with my own bout of not eating anything but sherbert, leaving 3' piles of snotty kleenex on the floor by the couch, pinching off a giant dump all day because pooping requires moving off the couch, kind of illness. so long as i can ward off the germs and gray is 74% better, wisconsin will never be the same.

thanks to everyone for the feedback on safety first (i changed the name to humility, and am still working on something better). it seems that most of you thought it was rad but that it might benefit from the removal of some of the words that add to it's (apparently) verbose length. i forget that bloggers like to read things in short batches and anything over 500 words is pushing your attention spans to capacity. THANK GOD I DIDN'T TORTURE YOU WITH TWO STORIES. i suppose if my only problem with writing fiction turns out to be that i have too MANY words falling out of me, well that's a problem i can live with.

really, i need to learn to edit my stories before i post them to save you the trouble of having to do it for me. but this funny thing happens when i finish writing something, especially when i think it might be better than "your mommy will hang it on the fridge". it's like i get high off my brain fumes and giddy with the knowledge that i figured out how to put the creepy world in my head down on paper, and not only is it down on paper, but it looks just a little more than two-dimensional, and i think it might even be starting to burn a hole through the paper...then i get all handsy with the publish button, and you people are left with basically what amounts to my right brain's orgasm juices.

funny thing that story taught me yesterday: if you're dragging your heels, unable to decide how to start fleshing out that idea that's been rattling around in your head since december, and the deadline for completion is looming so large that it's starting to flash it's teeth just to scare you, the best thing to do is decide you'll recycle a different story instead - something you've already written and just need to tweak - and move on. that's when your "problem story" will decide it wants to be told after all and out it will slip in an hour like that baby on the train tracks in india.

also, i learned that using the past perfect verb tense can turn into incredible clusterfuck in a real hurry.

17 comments:

  1. i'm always so distracted by the nice hair smell bacon comment.

    that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That past perfect verb tense will get you every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem, you know, with too many words. Whenever teachers give their requirements, like "at least five pages but no more than ten," I'm always the only one groaning... because how on earth am I going to fit everything in ONLY ten pages? Especially when they're double-spaced! Gah!

    (Blogging, however, has helped tremendously with this, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I hope Gray feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's Wisconsin's phone number? I have a question about cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Minute Clinic. I would marry it if I could. I hope your man feels better and that you get your weekend away and that there are no smoke alarms where you're staying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. boo. Sorry your Gray is sick. (And, just so you're aware, the whole "Gray/Grey" thing for us Canadians-- confusing the CRAP outta me.) And by crap, I mean that giant pinched dump. That, my friend, painted a lovely picture!

    Yes, you indeedy have a way with words.

    (hopefully my 'editing verbal diarhea' was helpful and not OMG-She's-So-Rude-To-EDIT-MY-Mother-Effin-Blog-right-in-front-of-my-face! Cuz, you know I'd never want to be THAT girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the whole writing thing. My favortie though is when something happens and it is basically written for you and all you have to do is type it in exactly as it occurred. unfortunately that only happens about 1 a year

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude. The main problem I have with your posts is that by the time I get 1/3 through them I have something I have! to! comment! but then I keep reading and there's something else I must! say! and by the time I get to the end, well, fuck. I've forgotten all the witty shit I was going to say.

    And then I do something fucking stupid like click on a link about babies on train tracks and forget that I was commenting in the first place.

    It's hard work keeping up with you, but highly entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn those past pefect verbs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. past perfect? I can't relate.
    I'm still perfect.

    Hope Gray is better in time for trip, and that you don't get what he's had.

    I see doc today.. my sinuses have
    been giving me grief. Just got off antibiotic but still drippy.
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, for one, LIKED the part in the library. I thought it supported your portrayal of the wife as totally self-centered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite is still Eleven's End. I think you have a talent for creepy fiction, but real-life gets me every time.
    For one of my ALL-TIME favorite short stories, check out "Rachel in Love" by Pat Murphy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. I don't go to the doctor for colds anymore - all you do is give a co-pay and a pat on the wrist. I'll keep that $15 dollars thank you very much.

    2. I LOVE how the percentage of Gray's wellness-ometer kept going down hahaha

    3. You really are a great writer - the stuff you've been doing has me all jealous and lazy now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I say go for 50%. As long as he's able to actually take the dump, the weekend should be fine. How could it not?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You. Must. Go. 25 percent. Period.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.