Thursday, December 09, 2010

Wrath of an Angry...Everyone

I'm not feeling like my old self yet.

It's kind of like the very first day at a new job, except I've worked the same job for well over two years and I am, of course, beloved by all. Oh, and I feel this way whether I'm at home with my husband, on the phone with a bridesmaid (i.e. a GOOD friend), or at work. Part time. Where half the people didn't realize I was even gone.

But still, I'm nervous about how others perceive me now: my double chin (thanks, HCMC, for the enormous amounts of sodium you pumped into me) which is accompanied by a very significant weight gain, so none of my clothes fit, my very short (yet somehow already way outgrown) pixie cut, my stammering voice, my inability to remember certain words, an overall halting confidence in my ability to be funny, fun or fucktastic.

True, most of these insecurities existed before, but now they seem to be present in all social settings including between myself and close friends, family, and even here with you freaks.

I suppose any sorta-near-death experience makes a person re-evaluate certain aspects of her life - I, for example, have managed to cut ties with one friend, one family member, and completely alienate another (granted, easily-alienate-able) family member. JUST THIS YEAR. One of the best years of my life has also been one of the worst, for which I'm only partly to blame, but due to which I was already struggling to forgive myself and move on.

Now? It's like I have to come to terms with all of that shit all over again.

It's like waaaaay back when I first began this blog, I told you about my ex and his (much worse than mine) traumatic brain injury. I was his primary caregiver, although I'm pretty sure his family would argue with that statement. But we owned a home and a vehicle and dogs together, so fuck it. We may as well have been married at the time. You can ready about it here, if you're so inclined.

One of the very difficult parts of my ex's recovery was that he lost a LOT of short term memory, which meant that we literally had to rehash every single argument that we had ever had. EVER. Because he remembered part of the disagreement but not all, and part of his cognitive therapy was to work on remembering.

The original purpose of this blog, actually, was to let off some steam because caring for a loved one with TBI fucking sucks. SUCKS. It's terrifying and lonely and painful and disgusting and helpless and funny and not funny and exhausting.

And now I get to rehash my recent arguments, and while those were terrible, I now can add that I've put my existing friends and family through the same trauma. I've doubled my co-workers' responsibilities. I've been a bad patient who had to be sedated and tied to the bed. I yelled at my mother and my husband. I'VE FLASHED MY COOTER TO PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T WISH TO SEE IT. I was unconscious when it happened, of course, but still.

I've been a terrible, finicky, seriously un-funny person. Did I mention chubby?

And now my punishment has been dealt:

I think my dog marked his territory INSIDE MY BRA, but I can't smell to verify the validity of my theory.

7 comments:

  1. You have been through a traumatic experience, and any trauma takes a long while to stop looping you round. I hope you can take it a bit easy on yourself, love yourself, let those who love you do the same. I'm so glad you wrote this and so glad you are all right. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should rub your dog's nose in your bra while saying "bad dog", just in case. I also think that things you do while unconscious do not count or they better not because I may owe a whole bunch of people apologies from past bad behavior. I also think you need to cut yourself some slack. I also know that that is easier said than done. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, you crazy mofo, what the hell happened over here? I disappear for a few months and you hurl yourself down the stairs because you can't stand the pain of me being gone? OMG, are you ok? Jeeeezus. Glad to hear you're still kicking but sorry to hear that it's been shitty times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lady:

    Hang in there. We are all pulling for you one-million percent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you do what Michele says and rub your dog's nose in the bra, will you take pictures? Cuz I'd pay to see that.

    Also, you have made me cringe in horror and laugh out loud all in the space of a couple paragraphs.

    You're amazing, you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're alive. Let the rest fall into place. I've never injured my brain (in one fell swoop, at least) but I did get a tragus piercing that threw off my balance for a year. I finally got a tattoo on the opposite breast to even things out. How long before you can get a tattoo?

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.