Friday, May 06, 2011

I found a project (actually, I found 5,000 of them)

I think I'm going to start with this project, though, because I'm tired of our house being an eye sore. I'd much prefer to have the reputation of the weird couple with the beautiful home.

The first part of that reputation is already in place.

A before picture, for your viewing pleasure.

Okay, so here's what the house looks like now that we ripped out the awful for sale sign, the stab-happy flower shrubs of doom, and all of the hideous landscaping rock.


And here is my first attempt at sketching what I'd like to do with the new facade.


Can you tell I don't have a) Photoshop b) any sort of artistic abilities c) or really any sense of landscape design whatsoever?

I NEED YOUR HALP.

The front of our house is in full sun almost all day long.
I basically only plant perennials because I hate buying them every damn year, but I'd like some annuals in the window boxes (which I have yet to buy/make).
I want relatively low-growing shrubs in the front under the windows, shrubs that won't be huge one day, that I can prune back and keep below the windows.
Perhaps some evergreens.
Perhaps some unicorns.
Who knows.
I will be laying fabric and mulching over the dirt when all the planting is done.
Otherwise, it's a blank slate.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE...HALP ME!

4 comments:

  1. Mini roses and boxwoods tend to be resilient and fairly easy to keep pruned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the boxwood idea, not too tall, ours is as wide as is tall.(3') Burning bushes would be nice, we have a flowering almond bush that is about the same size. We are in the same temp zone so they should work for you. Lots of Luck !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lavender bushes would be good. They like the sun, are drought tolerant, smell fab & the bees love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the burning bush idea because in September and October they are gorgeous fuschia! Tip no. 1, though, is lay the fabric BEFORE planting, and just cut little x's to plant where you want. Then mulch after the planting. Sedum and hostas are wonderfully resilient. Even I can't kill 'em. Some colorful sedum fills the spaces between taller stuff in the window boxes. And it's a succulent, so you never need to worry about the full sun. Your house is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.