Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hickory Smoked, Please

Let's pretend just for a moment that I'm not on a blog "hiatus" (aka: snowboarding and kinky tantric sex with Jon Gosselin in Utah while Kate celebrates their 11th wedding anniversary with a pint of Starbucks ice cream and a vibrator) so I can tell you about my physical therapy appointment yesterday.

First of all, the receptionist? Is a total bitch. But that is neither here nor there.

The therapist guy sat patiently, feigning interest whilst I regaled him with the details of my malady: sudden flares, stabbing pain that wraps around my ribs all the way to my breast bone, difficulty breathing, loss of ability to wipe myself. He nodded politely and wrote everything down in my chart.

Then he had me look at the ceiling, slowly, three times. Apparently, I am a dexterous prodigy because I passed the "ceiling looking" test with FLYING colors. Then I had do a series of equally boring maneuvers before he told me to lay on the table on my stomach. NAP TIME!

It was at this point that I said, "Gosh, I kind of hoped the pain would be acting up when I came to see you today so it would be easier to figure out what is going on."

That's when he told me, basically, that he's a terrorist who plans to torture me until we caused the pain to flare up, that it was sort of the POINT of the session, so I realize that not only is my back totally fucked, but I also have the pleasure of paying someone to make it hurt more. Call me crazy, but I generally prefer leather or latex involvement in this type of situation.

After much poking, rib and vertebrae counting, head turning and arm lifting, at which point I was beginning to worry we wouldn't find anything at all and I'd be sent away from yet another doctor's office, he pushed down in a certain spot and I nearly screamed from the pain, which would have been embarrassing because my pain noises sound like sex noises.

The offender? A lower rib, which he thinks may have been jammed at some time in the past which "set it up for the possibility of pain", which as I understand it means that I had a ticking time bomb RIGHT BESIDE MY LUNGS, and suddenly the idea of a rib exploding through my chest and impaling my eyeball is not so out of line. How's that for chilling?

He also said that all the muscles in the area of my wayward rib are inflamed, including the vertical back muscle that runs sort of over the top of it (I'm picturing pork ribs as he's describing my very own ribs, and am horrified to find my stomach churning in hunger.)((I swear to fucking god, that movie Fried Green Tomatoes turned me into a cannibal. Or at the very least, "set up the possibility for cannibalism."))

The next twenty minutes of my session were spent with me laying face down on the table while he. pushed. on. my. rib. Apparently the cure for dislocated ribs is BREAKING THEM OFF ALL TOGETHER. The worst part was that at some point I developed a need to fart, and his face was basically at butt-level, so I knew I absolutely COULD NOT fart, but he was pushing and pushing and it was all I could do to relax my upper body while my lower regions were clenched for dear life. When I left, I realized I no longer needed to fart, so there's no telling what actually happened - if I totally reversed the direction of the advancing gas bubble, or if it escaped in the tiny therapy room, aimed at the poor man's face.

I have to go back on Friday for another rib-pushing session because there's no exercise I can really do on my own at home to help fix this "rare" type of problem. Usually ribs don't move, he says, because everything in there is "packed together and bound tightly", so I think what he was trying to tell me is that my ribs are "loose" but even if it's true that they get around, at least they're not HIV positive because then NOBODY would be able to eat them and that would be a total waste.

22 comments:

  1. I wouldve farted all over that fucker! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart!!! To have to endure the pain of holding in a wayward fart during PT!! At some point, did you notice your ability to hear become impaired?? :) :) :)
    Oh, and Ewwww on Jon Gosselin!!! :)~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ceiling-looking is the most underrated skill in America after nap-taking which is totally my strong point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great. Now I have to spend the next 15 minutes of my life cleaning Dr. Pepper out of the crevices of my keyboard, because it all just came out my nose.

    I hate you so much right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get it.

    I get massaged to screaming, as well.
    Surprisingly it is helping.
    So is ibuprofen and exercises the therapist
    gave me.

    I too have to fart and suppress it.
    Lucky for them.

    They wouldn't want me back so I unload on them.
    Truly.

    Hope you are seeing some progress from therapy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "should" i unload on them..

    that's what I meant to say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't even been at work 30 minutes and I'm sitting here laughing uncontrollably. I am the worst employee on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say is poor Kate Gosselin.

    That was perfect 8:00 a.m. reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are pretty much falling apart.... you poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are SO not going to believe this, but when I read your previous post about the back pain I thought, "Hmm, this sounds incredibly similar to the back pain I had a few years ago which turned out to be from a dislocated rib or two caused through an over-vigorous chinese kickboxing class" (basically I'd been kicked in the ribs) but because my laptop was playing see-how-long-I-can-take-to-download-anything-before-I-get-my-screen-punched-in I lost the will to live in trying to type the comment! And LOOK! I was RIGHT! I too had also done the full doctor thing and they were completely rubbish so I saw a chiropractor who instantly knew what had happened, poked the offending rib (causing similar shriekage to your own) before shoving it back in for me. I have to say, though, it continued to pop out from time to time until, after much physical persuasion (either by the chiropractor or by me lining the edge of my spine up against the doorframe and pushing!) it finally stayed put. The muscles have to relearn where the rib is supposed to be. But don't despair, it will sort itself out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahahahhahha, your ribs are whores.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Silver lining: if you did in fact fart in his face, it was a silent one (or muffled up by your screams of pain) and it cold have been a lot more awkward if it was a loud & obnoxious in-your-face-fart.

    Hope your rib gets its fucking shit in gear asap.
    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally some kind of answer at least!

    Ribs DO sound good....

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, that post was fucking hilarious, but I am sorry that you are in so much pain.

    But still laughing because it was THAT funny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah. Dislocated ribs are no fun. Mine do it a bit, but I'm guessing that's my Ehlers Danlos playing up. In fact, a few nights ago you could have found me stretched out on my side on the bed, gasping 'fuckerfuckerfucker' as I massaged the stupid rib back in.

    So what I'm saying is, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, it's better your ribs are loose than another part of your body. Just sayin'.

    And, I probably WOULDA farted. I heard, in physical therapy, that's considered a compliment. Or, is that just slurping noodles in Japanese?

    Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK this was a totally random find of a blog. Somehow I ended up at your profile which made me laugh out loud at work. Then this post which also made me laugh out loud at work again.
    I have got to read more.

    *off to read

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just laughed so hard! Thank you, thank you, thank you. And this is why I keep coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmmmmmmmm, ribs. I dont' care if they're shattered in a million tiny pieces, I'll inhale a McRib any day of the week. Wait, the McRib is actually cat meat but you get my drift.

    Hurt ribs hurt. I once broke two of my best friend's ribs in a mosh pit since I was drunk and flinging myself into him as hard as I could.

    Oh, and when I went to the chiropractor a few months back, he told me that two of my ribs are "popped" which I can only assume means broken. The cause? My enormous effing boobs putting pressure on them all day, every day.

    Here's hoping your rib feels better soon. And the rest of you too. I always need to fart when my gyno is down there but so far I've held it together.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hm, I sprung a rib when I was pregnant because I had a lung infection and coughed too hard. I feel your pain. It's amazing how you use your ribs for, like, EVERYTHING. Go figure huh?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I understand that a well-placed fart is the punctuation of a good session, and also punishment for the pain.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.