Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Need a New Nickname Since "Bitch" No Longer Applies

Tom Cruise, if you're reading this, you might want to close the browser, take another hit of acid, and return to your space ship. Or you may want to jump on my couch. Either way, fuck off.

So last winter was rough on me, mentally speaking. Actually, all Minnesota winters stretch the limits of my sanity, but last winter was singularly terrible and I hit new emotional lows in which, hourly, I counted reasons left to go on, ticked them off on my fingers as a reminder not to just quit, and then when I realized I only needed one hand to count them, that's when I knew it was bad.

No amount of writing, no amount of vitamin D overdoses, no amount of whining or sleeping or hating everything...NOTHING HELPED.

And then I broke my arm, and it was either the flurry of activity (and subsequent inactivity) which kept my mind occupied, or it was the magical happy place that is vicodin that made the anguish more bearable, but by the time Mummy Hand returned to the tomb, I was more or less shaking off the fog that is my seasonal hell. Er, depression.

So everyone made me promise that this year, I'd follow through on my annual pledge to be proactive about my mental health and to get some help before winter gets me. I've made this promise before, every year since I moved to Minnesota, actually (except for that first year when I decided that getting drunk and calling the cops on myself was the best coping mechanism at my disposal)((I blame Obama for that one, and also the fact that I was 18)).

Yesterday was my first counseling appointment with Dr. Crazy (who really should be downgraded to Dr. Golf Socks, but it just doesn't have the same ring to it, huh?) who listened to me describe what I feel are my most troubling symptoms (suicidal thoughts, the desire to etch my name backwards with blood on every available surface while crab-crawling backward and biting heads off rats, the overwhelming urge to try lutefisk - you know, the usual symptoms of depression).

Then he listened to my concerns about what I always thought might be an anxiety disorder that I live with even during the "human" months of the year, and then I filled in the details of my family mental health history (which, when I said it all out loud in a row like that, sounded eerily like an episode of Jerry Springer, and when I mentioned this to him, he did not disagree).

Then I filled out some basic screening forms, and as Dr. Crazy Socks (good compromise, no?) perused the scores of those forms, he tapped his pen on his lips and said, "Hmmmmm," which either meant this was about to turn into a scene from my Taboo Anal Pleasures VVXI video, or he was thinking really, really hard.

And then he sort of surprised me by explaining that he thinks my anxiety isn't the primary concern, but instead is a symptom of what he called "smouldering depression" (dysthymia), something for which he thinks I can probably thank genetics (so the giant nose and the absent adult incisor aren't the only things my mother passed along to me)((remind me to send a thank you card))(((full of spiders))).

During the late winter months, it's likely that I dip down into major depression due to the lack of sunlight and the temperature-induced isolation. But he feels the major concern is something I never realized I had: the low-grade, smouldering depression. The fact that my "normal" isn't normal for other people, it's below normal. Kind of like my I.Q.

He asked me if I could tell him how much of every year do I feel depressed and I honestly couldn't answer because I'd never thought about it in those terms. So instead, he took a piece of paper and drew a line graph: the horizontal line represented time or months of the year, and the vertical line represented moods over that time.

The very top of the graph was "euphoria" and the very bottom was "major depression", and he said that the horizontal line in the middle was what healthy people consider "normal".

IMMEDIATELY, I understood what he had asked originally. Without further explanation from him, I pointed about half an inch below the "normal" line and said, "THAT'S my normal," and he said, "Yes, I think that's true," and so now I realize maybe why I hate everyone all the time. I guess I just figured I was a bitch.

So Dr. Crazy recommends medication to try and get my brain chemistry to realign it's "normal" (I need to find a general practitioner for that) and he also recommends counseling to teach my brain now to stop thinking like a depressed person (I'm seeing him again next Tuesday), and I think by the time winter strikes I'll be better prepared to handle it.

Of course, the lack of dead baby this year should help, but even so: THERE'S A CHANCE I WON'T WANT TO DIE THIS YEAR. Do you know what this means?!

It means I won't lose 4 months of the year to a fog of sleep and pain!
It means this blog might suck a big dick!
It means I'll need to find something new to blame on Obama!

Gray and I have discussed the fact that this winter is our final shot at making a life here in Minnesota. We are living in a house that we LOVE that is near to things we LOVE TO DO and people we LOVE TO SEE (except my Jill who might as well live in Iowa at this point) with jobs that we LOVE TO GO TO. I will be MEDICATED and less likely to drive off a bridge!

THIS? Is our last chance.

If I cannot be happy in Minnesota this winter, we will be making plans to move on, and I'm not sure that I want to do that when I've built so much life here already.

Plus...FUCK. If I have to move Gray's t-shirt collection one.more.time. so help me god I will burn them all, and then he would be left naked, and I don't think I have the heart to do that to you all.

16 comments:

  1. This is exciting. Well, as exciting as it can be.

    If you ever need a winter reprise, you can come to CA and sleep on our couch.

    I moved to CA from Oregon (where it rains from Sept. to June) and I can tell you that having great weather in December has changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for getting to the bottom of things. I recently went the crazy route and broke down at my OB appt. I asked her if she prescribes happy pills and she said for what? And I said "WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! FOR ANXIETY AND DEPRESSSSSSSSSSSSSION!!!" She was quite taken aback and said that she'd never seen me cry and she delivered both of my kids. IT was something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat,

    Dr. Crazy seems open minded.Ask him if he knows anything about PSYCH-K. It's a little "out there" in terms of counseling, but it is rocking my world with deep changes to subconscious beliefs, including the idea that my brain chemistry is fucked up and therefore I get suicidal in February. If he's not open-minded, do a little research yourself, maybe check it out. I can bore you with details about how it's helped me, but I'll give you one little story:

    I've based my entire life existance on doing things that I thought would make people like me. I ate compliments like candy. I could kill myself over criticism. Since I've worked on the core belief that I base how I feel about myself and how I live my life on my own opinions of myself, not others, it's like an invisible barrier has been created around me. Criticism does not touch me. Compliments do not touch me. It is a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you.... and Dr. Crazy for figuring this out. I so hope that it brings everything into a brighter light for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. I worship my zoloft gods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps I should try some zoloft gods......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like we should start a club.
    But then I've never really trusted doctors of any stripe and my brief attempt at "medicating" my depression failed so miserably I have the Fear of trying it ever again.
    Just pack up and move down here...to the Right Side of the Mason/Dixon Line. Besides, we blame Obama for everything around here and I could use the company.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yo. Why you don't come crash our spare room? I'd love to fill you with sunshine year-round! And by fill you with sunshine I mean take your money by charging exorbiant rent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know why you pay someone to tell you the stuff I tell you for free every single day!
    Oh BTW...this makes like 12 posts in a row you have mentioned me. You love me, you really love me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started seeing Lisa (my therapist) 2 years ago.. and taking depression medication this past winter (because she helped me see I had been depressed all of my life- I thought I was just a negative person).

    Just in the past couple of weeks my life got a whole lot brighter..

    Depression medication is a God send.
    I am so happy for you!
    I truly believe on the medication you may not end up moving. :o) But if you do, come to Iowa.. I'm here.. and well, it sounds like your Jill is too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Smoldering depression"

    That really has a ring to it.

    Better living through chemistry, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smoldering Depression totally sounds like the name of an Urban Decay eye shadow. Except even better!

    I'm going to be really sad if your normal goes higher than mine. And I have to warn you, my normal might start stalking your normal and writing creepy letters that say things like, "No, wait! Please don't leave me! We were MEANT to be together! Don't you see? If I can't have you no one can!" And they'll all be written with cheesy cutouts of letters from newspapers (do they even still MAKE newspapers anymore?!) and your normal will probably have to file a police report or get a restraining order or something awful.

    But I'll do my best to smile on the outside.

    Also, your winter is TOTALLY my summer. I hope this winter is nicer to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really have had a rough year or so, but I'm glad to see you working through it. And can I just say that your writing just keeps getting better and better?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have tried to explain depression to many people and some don't get. I have it the same as you (I've mentioned meds many times in my posts)

    We really don't wake up at the same level of normal as normal people do when I discovered that I was relieved, so relieved. I'm glad you got your diagnosis and a plan to do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you! I like your therapist.

    I used to think my norm was "normal." But looking back, I think the words "smouldering depression" might describe my condition perfectly. Then I tried Prozac and found a new level of happiness that, I eventually realized, might actually be the REAL normal.

    Granted, the depression never just vanished. But now I'm able to handle difficult situations with so much more peace and contentment.

    (And the drugs make me have some bizarre, kick-ass dreams.)

    Also, I agree that your writing keeps getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi
    thanks for this post is really good, have a nice day.
    regards.

    ReplyDelete

You.Yeah, you. Speak the fuck up.